BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
somebody
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am trying to replicate a finance paper in which standard deviation is computed differently to the traditional way. Accordingly,

"To measure the volatility of a firm’s stock returns, we use a proxy, centered around zero rather than the rolling 3-month mean, for daily variation of returns computed as an annualized 3-month rolling sample standard deviation:

image.png

where t denotes month. How do I compute this metric? Do I use PROC STANDARD to make returns be centered around zero? and then compute rolling standard deviation? 

Here is the link to the paper if you are interested:

https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/campbell/files/campbellhilscherszilagyi_jf2008.pdf

15 REPLIES 15
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Standard deviation centered around zero instead of the mean ... the square of this found by the USS() function in a data step, or the USS option in PROC MEANS/PROC SUMMARY.

--
Paige Miller
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

If you want exact that formula combine the USS function and the LAG1, LAG2, and LAG3 functions:

data Have;
input Y @@;
t = _N_;
datalines;
4 5 6 5 7 6 4 3 4 6 3 5 7 7 7 8 7 6 7
;

data Want;
set Have nobs=N;
Y1 = lag1(Y); Y2 = lag2(Y); Y3 = lag3(Y); 
sigma3 = sqrt(252/(N-1) * uss(Y1, Y2, Y3));
run;

proc sgplot data=Want;
series x=t y=sigma3;
run;
somebody
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks. But doesnt it have to be calculated using daily returns? I think your code uses monthly standard deviation of past 3 months. This is also the part that I dont understand 😞

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@somebody wrote:

Thanks. But doesnt it have to be calculated using daily returns? I think your code uses monthly standard deviation of past 3 months. This is also the part that I dont understand

I don't see why you say this. Nothing in Rick's code indicates that it uses monthly returns. Nothing indicates it uses daily returns. His answer is general, not specific to a given time period. If you need it to work on daily returns, you can do the calculations based on daily returns; if you want it to work on monthly returns, you can do the calculations on monthly returns.

--
Paige Miller
somebody
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Here is another paper doing the same thing ( I think they are different).

image.png

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I guess the question is what are the r_k values and what is the range of the index k? 

I suggest you talk to your manager/mentor/advisor and figure out what you want to compute. After you know what you want to compute, provide example data and we can help you compute it in SAS.

somebody
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I think k indexes the trading days. So to compute this, we use all trading days within that past 3 months. I can use PROC EXPAND to compute rolling standard deviation. However, how can I tell SAS just look at the past 3 months rather than using previous 66 obs (assuming 22 trading days in a month)

ballardw
Super User

@somebody wrote:

Here is another paper doing the same thing ( I think they are different).

image.png

To be just slightly obnoxious, if you think the formula here and in your first post are different then you need a serious refresher of mathematic symbiology.

(<values>) to the 1/2 power IS square root,

252* 1/(n-1) is the same as 252/(n-1)

somebody
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I know that the formulas are the same. What I mean difference is r. In the latter, r are just normal returns, whereas in the former, I think r are standardized (de-meaned). 

Ramin1
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Rick, I am going to calculate sigma following the above-mentioned paper in the posted question Campbell et al. (2008),
I have the attached code, can you look into this and tell me whether the 3 months rolling volatility/standard deviation calculated perfectly or not and how can I annualize it? I am attaching the code and data for you. If you think there is any other efficient way then you can post it. Thanks in advance. 

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

> can you look into this and tell me whether the 3 months rolling volatility/standard deviation calculated perfectly or not and how can I annualize it?

You are asking the wrong person. Your computation uses hash objects and DATA step arrays, so you should talk to someone who is skilled in using those tools.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

how can I tell SAS just look at the past 3 months rather than using previous 66 obs (assuming 22 trading days in a month)

For each date in your data, use the INTNX function to compute the "3 month prior" date.

For example, the following DATA step tells you the beginning of the three-month window for three dates in 2019.

/*
Use the INTCK and INTNX functions:
https://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2017/05/15/intck-intnx-intervals-sas.html
*/
data Trade3;
input TradeDate anydtdte12.;
BeginDate = intnx('month', TradeDate, -3, 'same');
format TradeDate BeginDate DATE9.;
datalines;
Mar 4, 2019
Apr 30, 2019
Dec 14, 2019
;

proc print; run;
somebody
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks. But how do I tell PROC EXPAND to use obs within the past 3 months? I would use the following code to compute rolling standard deviation

PROC EXPAND DATA=sigma OUT=sigma method=none;
	convert r=r_moving_sum / TRANSFORMOUT= (MOVSTD 66);
	by stock;
RUN;

This would work if we have all trading days. However, some stocks don't trade often. For example, stock XYZ trade 20 days over the past 3 months, say from 1 June to 31 August. So on 1st Sep, I would like to use only those 20 trading days. But the code above would include other trading days prior to 1 June. Can I restrict PROC EXPAND to use only the past 3 months? if so, How?

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 10 likes
  • 6 in conversation