BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Lifang
Obsidian | Level 7
I did save it as a .sas file on my local disk. The problem is that the file turned blank after it got interrupted by the shutdown of my computer, which is odd given that it does have a size of 14KB. Anyway, I agree that the points raised by you and @ChrisNZ are important. Thanks.
Lifang
Obsidian | Level 7
Could you please let me know how to PM you the file? It seems that the private message module does not allow me to attach files.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

There's nothing in that file, literally. It is just one big heap of hex 00's.

This looks like some kind of privacy software went over temporary files (on shutdown) to overwrite them with "nothing".

Lifang
Obsidian | Level 7
That's interesting. It happened when my computer suddenly shut down to install certain updates, I blame the windows system then. I guess there is no hope to recover the file... But thanks!
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Lifang wrote:
... shut down to install certain updates

That's why I suspect some piece of security software that runs on an orderly shutdown (as this was initiated by some kind of software deployment and not just a typical crash) and erases file contents in places where the security is not that high (e.g. C:\temp).

Lifang
Obsidian | Level 7
This makes sense, even though I did save the file while I was coding and before the shutdown, the system just ignored it and replaced the contents with 00's.
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

> you won't have access to the location where the files were saved

Not even with a data step using infile ? Is this location known?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Do you have a file with ~ tacked onto the name?  So if your file was named myfile.sas is there another file named myfile.sas~ in the same directory?

Note if you use Windows Explorer to look at files there are setting that can be set that hide the extension (part of the name after the last period).  Personally I always turn off that option as I want to see the full name of the files.

Lifang
Obsidian | Level 7
No, there is no such file in the same directory.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 6 in conversation