BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dwarden3
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I have a macro that runs a regression over a set of variables. It outputs datafiles from the regressions, manipulates them, and then I have code that joins them all together. However, some of the regressions do not converge, so the output datasets are not generated. Because of this, the combined dataset is not generated because it is trying to use nonexistent datasets to make itself. 

Here is the code I use to combine the datasets: 

data Combined;
	set
	%do i = 1 %to &numo;
		tt3_&i 
	%end; ;
	*ends i; 
run; 

&numo is the number of variables to be run (1,2,3,4...), so tt3_&i  is the output dataset and might be tt3_121, etc. 

I am getting errors like this: 

ERROR: File WORK.TT3_16.DATA does not exist.
ERROR: File WORK.TT3_34.DATA does not exist.
ERROR: File WORK.TT3_64.DATA does not exist.
ERROR: File WORK.TT3_72.DATA does not exist.
ERROR: File WORK.TT3_104.DATA does not exist.
ERROR: File WORK.TT3_109.DATA does not exist.
ERROR: File WORK.TT3_125.DATA does not exist.

How can I either have the code ignore these missing datasets/errors or create dummy datasets when those don't exist so that the combination step works. 

Thanks in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Quentin
Super User

I just learned from another post here, that there is a system option NODSNFERR which can be set so that references to non-existing data sets are not an error.

NODSNFERR
specifies that SAS ignore the error message and continue processing if a reference is made to a SAS data set that does not exist. The data set reference is treated as if _NULL_ had been specified.

Another option would be to test for existence with:

data Combined;
	set
	%do i = 1 %to &numo;
		%if %sysfunc(exist(tt3_&i)) %then tt3_&i  ;
	%end; ;
	*ends i; 
run;

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mike Raithel presenting on validating data files on Wednesday July 17. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

The much simpler way to do this is to not use a macro loop. Instead

data Combined;
	set tt3_:;
run;

This may not work in all situations, for example if you have data set tt3_500 and you want the loop to end at 200, then that won't work, and maybe you need to go back to using a macro loop with modifications.

--
Paige Miller
dwarden3
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you. There are instances where I would want &numo to be 200 instead of all 500 (or whatever number), so I went with the other solution, but this is still very helpful! 

Quentin
Super User

I just learned from another post here, that there is a system option NODSNFERR which can be set so that references to non-existing data sets are not an error.

NODSNFERR
specifies that SAS ignore the error message and continue processing if a reference is made to a SAS data set that does not exist. The data set reference is treated as if _NULL_ had been specified.

Another option would be to test for existence with:

data Combined;
	set
	%do i = 1 %to &numo;
		%if %sysfunc(exist(tt3_&i)) %then tt3_&i  ;
	%end; ;
	*ends i; 
run;

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mike Raithel presenting on validating data files on Wednesday July 17. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
dwarden3
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you! I knew there was a way to suppress the errors, but I couldn't find it. 

I decided to go with the sysfunc solution since I don't necessarily want to change system options. 

A_Kh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Another interesting and useful system option.

In the second example,

%macro combine;
data Combined;
	set
	%do i = 1 %to &numo;
		%if %sysfunc(exist(tt3_&i)) %then tt3_&i  
	%end; 
    ;
run;
%mend;

%if ..%then expression produces a warning message "WARNING: Missing semicolon between %THEN clause and END has been assumed.".
Any idea about how to avoid this warning in the log?

Quentin
Super User

You need a semicolon to end the %IF statement:

%if %sysfunc(exist(tt3_&i)) %then tt3_&i  ;   %*<--- semicolon here to end %IF statement ;

As a style issue, I usually code as:

%if %sysfunc(exist(tt3_&i)) %then %do;
  tt3_&i
%end;

The later style makes it clearer which semicolons are part of the macro language, rather than SAS language semicolons.

A_Kh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Cool! I see the difference now, used to code the latter way and no semicolon at the end.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation