BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
twerwath
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you!! This works. I ran it on the entire dataset but found it did what was intended, but for any 'type' that had consecutive days. I only needed it done for type 'a'. I may not have been clear on this - my apologies, but it is a complicated problem that is difficult to articulate. But you seem to have found an answer.

I made it work simply by dividing it in two temporary datasets, one with type 'a' observations only and one holding the rest of the observations. I ran it on the first temp dataset and simply merged them back together and it is exactly as intended.

I believe this the second time you have found a solution for me for a problem I didn't know how to fix. I owe you a beer!

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

"I believe this the second time you have found a solution for me for a problem I didn't know how to fix. I owe you a beer!"--- Let me route those thanks to my personal gurus Paul D @hashman  @data_null__  and the adorable @DonH  . I recommend buying the book. There are ton of examples of this kind. Funny enough I once asked Guru @data_null__ - "is there anything you do not know about?" 🙂 I feel like I am entitled and have a personal right to bother them for knowledge. 

If it wasn't for a lot of their teaching on a personal level, I wouldn't have had the expertise that I have today. Hmm, as a matter of fact I should also include and thank @ChrisHemedinger  for getting me connected with the Guru's. 

We the community(all inclusive) are glad it worked for you. We are all a SAS family after all. 🙂 Have a great weekend.

hashman
Ammonite | Level 13

@novinosrin: Thank you for the kind words, Naveen. 

Ksharp
Super User

You want consecutive days of type A ?

data have;
input id type $ begin_date: date9. dx1 $ dx2 $;
format begin_date date9.;
datalines;
1 A 28JAN2019 a b
1 A 29JAN2019 a b
1 A 30JAN2019 a a
1 A 31JAN2019 b b
1 B 2FEB2019  a b
2 B 29JAN2019 b c
2 A 1FEB2019  b d
2 A 2FEB2019  b d
2 A 3FEB2019  a b
2 A 4FEB2019 a d
2 A 5FEB2019 b b
;
data have;
 set have;
 by id type notsorted;
 if first.type or dif(begin_date) ne 1 then group+1;
run;

proc freq data=have(where=(type="A")) noprint;
table id*group*dx1/list out=temp1 ;
table id*group*dx2/list out=temp2 ;
run;
proc sort data=temp1;
by id group count;
run;
proc sort data=temp2;
by id group count;
run;
data mode1;
 set temp1;
 by id group;
 if last.group;
run;
data mode2;
 set temp2;
 by id group;
 if last.group;
run;

proc sql;
create table want as
 select a.*,b.dx1,c.dx2
  from (select distinct id,group,type,min(begin_date) as begin_date format=date9.,max(begin_date) as end_date format=date9.
         from have 
          where type="A"
           group by id,group) as a
   left join mode1 as b on a.id=b.id and a.group=b.group
   left join mode2 as c on a.id=c.id and a.group=c.group
union all
 select id,group,type,begin_date,., dx1, dx2
  from have 
   where type="B"
    group by id,group
order by id,type
;
quit;
twerwath
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi @Ksharp 

It ran almost to the end but I received "ERROR: Sort execution failure".

Ksharp
Super User
OK. You could try delete "order by id,type" if you don't care order of obs .

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 like
  • 8 in conversation