BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sassy_seb
Quartz | Level 8

Hello, I was wondering if there was a way to check a range of variables to see if any are equal to a certain value.

data checks;
	input check_1 $ check_2 $ check_3 $ check_4 $;
	datalines;
    Checked Unchecked Unchecked Unchecked
    Unchecked Unchecked Unchecked Unchecked 
    Unchecked Checked Unchecked Unchecked      
    ;
run;

Like for the above code, is there a way for me to test each line, and if any of the check_# variables equal to 'Checked' and save it to a new variable? 

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

Please double check that your data step creates the values you expect. The input statement you used only had 8 characters for the values which meant values of "Unchecke" were in the data.

There are two functions that may be what you are looking for WHICHC for character values and WHICHN for numereric values. The function will return the position number of the first found match or 0 if not found.

data checks;
	input check_1 :$10. check_2 :$10. check_3 :$10. check_4 :$10.;
   result = whichc('Checked',of check_1 - check_4);
datalines;
;
run;

You did not indicate exactly what was to be stored in then new variable.

sassy_seb
Quartz | Level 8

Awesome! Thank you so much!

sassy_seb
Quartz | Level 8

What I had in mind was basically storing either True or False if Checked was in the range. But I think I can make my problem work with having result be greater than 0. 

ballardw
Super User

SAS will actually treat any numeric value other than 1 as "true" but this code may be more helpful:

result = ( whichc('Checked',of check_1 - check_4) > 0);

The () around every thing will force a logical comparison and return 1 for true if found and 0 for false.

Strongly recommend leaving it as numeric 1 and 0 as that is much easier to deal with than actual "True" or "False" values. You can use a custom format to display text of True/False if needed.

When it comes to reporting if you SUM a numeric 1/0 coded value then the total is the number "true", MEAN is the percent true a decimal i.e. .75 = 75% true. There are a few other tricks available as well but these two work will with Proc Report or Tabulate for nice reports.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You can convert "greater than 0" to a value of 1, with 1 indicating true and 0 indicating false.

--
Paige Miller
Ksharp
Super User
data checks;
	input check_1 :$10. check_2 :$10. check_3 :$10. check_4 :$10.;
  array x{*} $ check_1 - check_4;
   result = 'Checked' in x;
datalines;
;
run;

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation