BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sasusermedicine
Calcite | Level 5
My workplace has provided me with Dell Lattitude laptop which has an internal hard disk HDD 7200rpm. I think the speed is limited to 100MB/s.

The laptop has USB-c port and thunderbolt 4 port. Just so you know it's my own data. I'm allowed to store the 1TB raw SAS data and write new files on external drives like SSD, I don't have to use the HDD.

Currently, all my work is on internal HDD.

I learn that Usb-c SSDs can write upto 1000MB/s which is 10x faster. Will I get faster speed for data manipulation with a Usb-c SSD? I'm asking here before I invest in one.

If your response is yes or no, what laptop/external or internal ssd setup do you recommend me to achieve such high read/ write speed? I'm also open to buying my own new laptop with new features if that's the only solution.

Thank you,
R
1 REPLY 1
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If this is just a general computer hardware performance question then you are asking this on the wrong forum and you should post this on a more relevant one. If the objective is to speed up the performance of your SAS processing then you should state that. If this is the case then I don't believe we can provide a definitive answer as there are many variables that impact performance. I would be very surprised if an externally plugged in USB-C drive would be significantly faster than an internally connected SSD as at the end of the day all computer IO is limited by the bandwidth of the internal IO bus.

I'd suggest either upgrading your internal drive to SSD or getting a new laptop with SSD will give you best bang for bucks.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation