BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ItsAProccess
Calcite | Level 5
Hello,

I currently use server SAS (9.4 Windows 2012 R2). My home internet speed is moderate, 15 MB download on Broadband. Currently, I don't have many issues in terms of speed on the server, but don't really work on datasets larger than 2000MB, or approx. 200,000 records.

My question is, would I experience delays in processing data when working with datasets that are 1 million + records? I understand the server will take longer to read or process 1 million records than 200,000 records but my question is whether or not my 15MB wifi connection would be the reason for longer processing time. Or, does my wifi speed not matter once connected to the server. I am not very well versed in the technical aspects of the server, and am hoping for a high-level answer. Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
SASKiwi
PROC Star

So how do you interface with your SAS server? SAS Enterprise Guide, SAS Studio, SAS Windowing Enviroment (Display Manager) or some other way? 1 million records is very small for a Windows server. I regularly deal with hundreds of millions of records on a Windows server and performance is fast. How fast your SAS job runs has nothing to do with your network speed as long as you are not downloading SAS data to your PC. Server performance is mostly influenced by disk IO performance - how fast data can be read and written to disk.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation