BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SASUserRocks
Calcite | Level 5

i have a requirement to pull data from excel for certain staff based on their login to excel. Staff will see only data pertaining to their field in excel when they login. A button will be placed in SAS to see dashboard in SAS VA and subsequently  the data that user can view should pump to SAS VA dashboard. Is this possible to implement ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

i have a requirement to pull data from excel for certain staff based on their login to excel. Staff will see only data pertaining to their field in excel when they login. A button will be placed in SAS to see dashboard in SAS VA and subsequently  the data that user can view should pump to SAS VA dashboard. Is this possible to implement ?

I very much doubt that this is a workable solution. SAS VA LASR tables are not designed for multiple user updating. Only one user can update a LASR table at a time. Also in my experience, it is a lot better for SAS to pull data into VA, rather than have another product push data in.

Perhaps if you explained what your actual business problem is in more detail, a better approach could be found. For example, VA supports row-level data access by user so you can automatically display a different set of data for each user (based on their AD identity) without using a third-party tool at all.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
JosvanderVelden
SAS Super FREQ
That depends. Your request doesn't provide enough information. You should provide more details on the use case scenario. Ex. How is excel login implemented (AD and IRM)? How will the data be pumped from excel to SAS (when a user accesses, one time, in batch at night)? Which VA version are you using? How is security in SAS implemented? etc, etc, etc...
SASUserRocks
Calcite | Level 5

Excel login based on AD login. Idea is to refresh dashboard with data in excel in which data has populated based on AD login. Is this possible at all ? VA version in 7.5

JosvanderVelden
SAS Super FREQ
Still not enough information. Permissions in VA 7.5: https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/vacdc/7.5/vaag/p0hyq8sgpi9riun18hmc1uxpx9su.htm
What is the trigger that will push the data from excel to VA? Or is the data pushed from excel to VA only providing the data access limitations? Is the (meta)data already in VA and is it only refreshed or is it loaded from zero?
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I very much doubt that this is a workable solution. SAS VA LASR tables are not designed for multiple user updating. Only one user can update a LASR table at a time. Also in my experience, it is a lot better for SAS to pull data into VA, rather than have another product push data in.

Perhaps if you explained what your actual business problem is in more detail, a better approach could be found. For example, VA supports row-level data access by user so you can automatically display a different set of data for each user (based on their AD identity) without using a third-party tool at all.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation