BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Melk
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi All,

I am used the automated variable selection (stepwise method) with a SLE of 0.2 and a SLS of 0.05. I am getting variables in my final model that are >0.20 in my univariate analysis. I am wondering why that is, is it because those variables are significant in the presence of other variables and they get entered in one of the middle steps?

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User
Yes. This is why the univariate method of variable selection is not considered a reliable or acceptable method to determine which variables to include in your regression model.
Melk
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Is this what they call negative confounding?
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

There are a lot of criticisms of stepwise, I assume this is one of the 12,631 reasons why you shouldn't use Stepwise. If you go to your favorite internet search engine and type in "problems with stepwise regression", you will find enough to read for a week.

So, don't use stepwise.

--
Paige Miller
Melk
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Hm. What do you normally use? LASSO?
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I use Partial Least Squares regression (PROC PLS), which works well in the presence of multicollinearity. According to this article, "Partial least squares (PLS) is a method for constructing predictive models when the factors are many and highly collinear."

--
Paige Miller

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation