BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
fierceanalytics
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello, 

I am not looking for all kinds of ways how to dedup macro values when combining them into one. I have code that does that. Wonder if there is a built SAS sys functon of some sort that does that in one. For example

%let new100 = %sysdedup(&old1 &old2 .... &old100 &old102);

%sysdedup is just my creation that needs to be replaced with a legit one if any. 

Thanks. 

Jia Xin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

@fierceanalytics,

I see in @ArtC's book "Carpenter's Complete Guide to the SAS Macro Language, Third Edition" that he includes a macro to remove duplicate values (Program 12.4.7, "DistinctList").  I suspect that if Mr. Carpenter isn't aware of an official SAS macro to remove duplicates that there isn't one.  However, if you do find one, please post the name here; it would be a useful macro.

Good luck,

Jim

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jimbarbour
Meteorite | Level 14

@fierceanalytics,

I see in @ArtC's book "Carpenter's Complete Guide to the SAS Macro Language, Third Edition" that he includes a macro to remove duplicate values (Program 12.4.7, "DistinctList").  I suspect that if Mr. Carpenter isn't aware of an official SAS macro to remove duplicates that there isn't one.  However, if you do find one, please post the name here; it would be a useful macro.

Good luck,

Jim

fierceanalytics
Obsidian | Level 7

Jim

Found the mentioned code 12.4.7. Sign on SAS support site. Look for the Macro book. Download 67815_example.zip.  The program is 12.4.7, but as of 9-18-2020, the online example copy puts it under Chapter 12 12.4.6.sas. The macro is %macro DistinctList(list).... Not to sound critical, it is kind of long. 

Thanks, 

Jia Xin

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

It is not clear what you mean, but I don't think there is anything like that.

Sounds like you want way to generate a macro variable that has the distinct set of words that are in the existing value.

%macro dedup(words);
%local return i word ;
%do i=1 %to %sysfunc(countw(&words,%str( )));
  %let word=%scan(&words,&i,%str( ));
  %if not %sysfunc(indexw(&return,&word,%str( ))) %then
    %let return=&return &word
  ;
%end;
&return
%mend dedup;
%put %dedup(a b c a a b d);

If instead you want to give it a list of the names of macro variables and find the set of distinct values of those macro variables you could re-write it this way.

%macro dedupvars(vars);
%local return i var ;
%do i=1 %to %sysfunc(countw(&vars,%str( )));
  %let var=%scan(&vars,&i,%str( ));
  %if not %sysfunc(indexw(&return,&&&var,%str( ))) %then
    %let return=&return &&&var
  ;
%end;
&return
%mend dedupvars;

%let a=a;
%let b=b;
%let c=a;
%put %dedupvars(a b c);
fierceanalytics
Obsidian | Level 7

I have 6 macros that do this. I was just looking for a built in SAS function to simplify. Thank you. Jia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation