BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

Don't use Excel to transfer data. Just remove Excel for such task from the list of tools for ever. Using Excel will sooner then one can hope bring other fancy problems, caused by the nice number of "improvements" Excel uses to transform the data to what Excel things is what you may expect.

If you don't have a sas licence, you have to rely on third-party-tools. I recommend searching outside the sas community.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

NEVER, EVER use Excel files to transfer data. NEVER.

Plain text files allow you to inspect them with a simple (but proper, like Notepad++) text editor, so you can easily check them for issues. Excel files have a size limit (1M rows), and looking at the data to know what's REALLY in there involves unpacking the zip archive and inspecting the contained XML files.

But you have SAS datasets, so somebody must have a SAS license. Ask them to export the data.

If it was actually your organization which has dropped the SAS license in the meantime, then I must say: using a proprietary format for long-time data storage where it is not sure that the necessary software will be available at some point in the future is not proper IT strategy (and I am being EXTREMELY polite here).

How large are your individual dataset files?

HeatherNewton
Quartz | Level 8

we have a team who can do the conversion to text for us with SAS. however our concern is if the conversion gone wrong, we still have the sas dataset to work on with non SAS software like Python. 

I understand using SAS to export to text is the easiest way. However, for convenience and flexibility, we would also want to explore the possiblities with using non sas method to convert sas dataset into text to be stored in Oracle. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you have a team who have SAS including SAS/ACCESS to ODBC or SAS/ACCESS to Oracle then they can load the data for you directly into Oracle minimising the possibility of any transcription errors.

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello @HeatherNewton 
As I have suggested earlier on using python, it can be used to load data into Oracle directly from sas datasets.
There would be no need for an intermediate text or excel file.

HeatherNewton
Quartz | Level 8
Does it work for all data format e.g. Ebcdic

If direct into Oracle no intermediate text file, how to write?
japelin
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I think you should try it anyway.
@Sajid01 had suggested sample code.

And, google is your friend.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dataframe+to+oracle+python
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

If I were faced with a situation where I had to transfer data from SAS datasets to Oracle (or any other RDBMS) using open-source tools, then Python wood by my first choice..
Pandas read_sas() function has an option for encoding. The applicable encoding can be mentioned.

The high level approach will be to read the data from SAS using python, connect to oracle, create table and write data to oracle table. However an analysis/understanding of the requirements will be needed to formulate a proper strategy. 

Some helpful references are given below

https://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/reference/api/pandas.read_sas.html?highlight=read 
https://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/reference/api/pandas.DataFrame.to_sql.html 

https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/appdev/python/quickstartpythononprem.html 

As suggested by @japelin google is a very helpful resource.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@HeatherNewton 

As already proposed by @Ksharp quite a bit earlier in this discussion you can use Python (Pandas) to read a SAS file directly into a Pandas dataframe and then export this dataframe to a text file in the format Oracle can read it.

The Oracle guys need to tell you how they would like this text file to look like.

HeatherNewton
Quartz | Level 8
Hi hi , if i want to test for the accuracy or transcription error when using python to convert sas dataset to text, should I be paying more attention to certain dataset that might have special formats...like ebcdic etc??
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Yes very true

HeatherNewton
Quartz | Level 8

I got error message 

'utf-8' codec can't decpde byte 0xc0 in position 0: invalid start byte

what encoding shall I be using ??

also if instead I would love to get text file not excel, how to do it? is CSV same as text?

Ksharp
Super User

Ksharp
Super User

So did you try FreelanceReinhard suggested SAS Universal View ?

Ksharp_0-1661515569393.png

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

If you have large numbers of files and need to automate, then you can use PowerShell with the SAS Local Provider for OLE DB. This assumes you can run this on Windows.

• The Local Provider is SAS-provided software that can read SAS data sets. As such, it may be able to read diverse SAS data files more reliably than open-source Python or R packages.
  • But....the Local Provider cannot resolve non-standard (user-defined) formats that you might have defined using PROC FORMAT. For this you need a full SAS environment.
  • PowerShell with OLE DB can output CSV files and Excel...among others. You could also capture information like data types/lengths -- descriptor information that may be important.
Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 56 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 12 in conversation