BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
shl007
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi - I feel this is a simple question but wanted to confirm and couldn't seem to find documentation on this:

If I have a pivot table in Excel that uses a SAS dataset as its data source, does the user necessarily need SAS to refresh this pivot table? I was thinking not, but recent testing has made me question my assumption. Maybe SAS is needed for the dataset to be recognized through SAS' OLEDB data source connection used by the pivot table?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
SASKiwi
PROC Star

How are you refreshing this pivot table yourself? I'm guessing you might be using the SAS Add-in to MS Office which you can access via the SAS menu in Excel. Then it depends if your source SAS dataset is being read from a SAS server or not? You need to provide more details on how you are accessing your SAS dataset.

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

My (limited) experience is that pivot tables must be refreshed manually. 

That's the reason I usually save the excel data sheet (and associated pivot table) with a single line of zeros, so the user can't forget the need to refresh.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation