BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Josh2
Calcite | Level 5

Got a response from SAS:

Hello ___,

This is in regard to SAS tracking number (number_removed), where you are getting a Java error in SAS after applying a recent Windows 10 update.

Editor's note: Details removed -- not meant for publication.  Official details are forthcoming!

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi @Josh2 - I removed the details from your post.  The "preview" instructions were sent to specific customers for testing, and referenced a temporary download location for these hot fix packages.  They are not ready for publication.

The official hot fix packages are almost ready for release.  SAS Tech Support is working closely with several customers to verify the fix (so far, so good) and the official details will be published in the SAS Note and on the Hot Fix board when ready.  We'll probably also update this thread too  🙂

To anyone who recieved these details via communities notifications: be aware that the temporary hotfix packages will be removed very soon.  Official packaging is coming soon!

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The hot fix is officially available now.  The SAS Note will be updated very soon, if it isn't already.

Hot fix download links - per SAS version:

The SASHFADD tool will also pick these up.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
shayne
SAS Employee

This is a known problem that was introduced with the Microsoft Windows 10 "Creators" update.  SAS has issued a fix to solve the issue for SAS 9.4 customers.  Microsoft may also address the problem in a future update.  The SAS hot fix is designed to solve the issue independent of any future Windows fix.

Problem Details

SAS Note 60323: Java errors due to the Windows 10 Creators Update might occur when you invoke SAS

Invoking SAS® 9.4 M3 or later on a Windows 10 machine might result in Java errors. The problem is caused by the Windows 10 Creator Update and can also affect SAS client applications such as SAS® Enterprise Guide®.  You might see errors such as SAS Enterprise Guide has stopped working.  The issue can be intermittent or consistent.  

Here are the error messages displayed in the SAS log window when SAS is invoked:

ERROR: The Java child process terminated unexpectedly: status -1073741502.
ERROR: Failed to attach to Java during SAS startup.

Circumstances under Which the Issue Is Known to Occur

• The Windows 10 Creators Update (Version 1703, OS Build 15063) is applied on a Windows 10 machine on which a SAS 9.4 M3 or later installation had been functioning properly
  • SAS 9.4 M3 or later is installed after the Creators Update has been applied to a Windows 10 machine

Hot Fix Details

SAS has issued a hot fix for this problem.  The SAS Note provides details and links to the fix on the "Hot Fix" tab.

Hot fix direct download links - per SAS version:

The SASHFADD tool will also pick these up.

jojo
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, 

I have SAS 9.4  SAS (r) Proprietary Software 9.4 (TS1M2), how should I fix the issue? Should I use the hot fix for SAS 9.4 M3?

cws
Fluorite | Level 6 cws
Fluorite | Level 6

HI

Since the latest Windows 10 update last week the problem has gone away, so I can now log in without a problem. I did not instal the hotfix, but just kept trying to log in. Each time I got the Java error I closed dows and then tried again.

SInce I am a statistician I recorded my data on the number of attempts it took to log in successfully each day and found it followed a nice exponential distribution with mean and standard deviation of approximately 22!

shayne
SAS Employee

Hi jojo - SAS 9.4 TS1M2 is not supported on Windows 10. I strongly encourage you to update to a supported maintenance release (SAS 9.4 TS1M3 or later). 

Microsoft has released an update to Windows 10 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4025342/windows-10-update-kb4025342) which also resolves the issue, so you can either update the operating system or apply the SAS hot fix (after updating to a supported release) to resolve the issue.

Thanks!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats