BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
michtka
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi everyone, I got the next code that generate adv1 (a summary table):

data new;
  length subjid leg_sort aeterm $20. trtrel 8.;
  input subjid leg_sort aeterm trtrel;
  datalines;
  100 drug drymouth  1
  101 drug drymouth  1
  102 placebo  drymount 0
  ;
  run;

proc sql noprint;
  create table adv1 as
  select count(distinct subjid) as n, leg_sort, 'Subjects evaluable for AE' as text
  from new
  where trtrel=1
  group by leg_sort;
quit;

my problem is that I would like to include the row placebo  with N= .

i.e, I  want to generate a dataset including all the possible values of leg_sort considering the values with missing data (placebo in my example).

Thnaks in advance.

V

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkeintz
PROC Star

OK, I understand now.

Then how about a union of the "where trtel"  where you count the subject id's with the "leg_sort eq 'placebo'" case with N specified as missing.  I only tested this SQL code with your 3 observations, but it worked in that case (I prefer proc summary).  I moved the respective WHERE clauses into data set name parameters so that I didn't have to figure out their influence as sql expressions.  SQL mavens might have a much more elegant way to do this.

proc sql;

select count(distinct subjid) as n, leg_sort, 'Subjects Available for AE' as text

from new (where=(trtrel eq 1))

union

select . as n, leg_sort, 'Subject Available for AE' as text

from new (where=(leg_sort eq 'placebo'))

group by leg_sort;

quit;

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
mkeintz
PROC Star

Dear Mitchka:

You have not demonstrated a problem of dealing with missing data.  You've shown the effect of using "where trtel=1".

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for

michtka
Fluorite | Level 6

The option where is neccessary, because i am interested in the records trtrel=1,

I know that there is not record of Placebo, but instead of not showing it, I am interested to consider not missing data (it is wrong, sorry, my mistake in the tittle), I am interested to consider the placebo raw with 0 value.

Something like that:

leg_sort    N

drug         2

Placebo   0

art297
Opal | Level 21

There are more combinations than shown in your desired output.  Will you get what you want by using proc freq?  e.g.:

proc freq data=new;

tables trtrel*leg_sort*aeterm;

run;

MikeZdeb
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

hi ... three PROCs support preloading a format ... MEANS (SUMMARY), TABULATE, REPORT ... that make groups in your output dependent on a format rather than on your data

so, you can use SUMMARY with one or more CLASS variables to make a data set of counts, for example ...

proc format;

value $leg_sort 'drug' = 'drug' 'placebo' = 'placebo';

run;

data new;

input subjid (leg_sort aeterm) (:$20.) trtrel;

datalines;

100 drug drymouth  1

101 drug drymouth  1

102 placebo  drymount 0

;

proc summary data=new nway completetypes;

class leg_sort / preloadfmt;

output out=counts (drop=_type_ rename=(_freq_ = N));

where trtrel eq 1;

format leg_sort $leg_sort.;

run;

data set COUNTS ...

Obs    leg_sort    N

1     drug        2

2     placebo     0

mkeintz
PROC Star

Could you not then just add "or leg_sort='placebo'" to your where clause?

As in:

where trtel=1 or leg_sort='placebo'

michtka
Fluorite | Level 6

Thnak you mkeintz for making this dataset with proc summary,...but there one way to do the same using proc sql?

the reason I insisted with proc sql is because it is part of a macro, and the macro consider always 2 rows, this the reason i need to create that extra row of placebo with 0 values.

thnakls.

mkeintz
PROC Star

I did not demonstrate the proc summary - that was Mike Zdeb.  My suggestion was explicitly for your PROC SQL which currently has where trtel=1 and could easily be changed to where trtel=1 or leg_sort='placebo'

MikeZdeb
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi ... yes, I suggested SUMMARY.  I don't think that the suggestion

where trtel=1 changed to where trtel=1 or leg_sort='placebo'

proc sql;

select count(distinct subjid) as n, leg_sort, 'Subjects evaluable for AE' as text

from new

where trtrel eq 1 or leg_sort eq 'placebo'

group by leg_sort;

quit;

n  leg_sort              text

2  drug                  Subjects evaluable for AE

1  placebo               Subjects evaluable for AE

does what you want in that you get a count of 1  for placebo since rather than the 0 that you want. 

Given my meager SQL knowledge, I cannot think of an easy SQL approach since you are asking PROC SQL to produce a count for something that is not in your data set.

That is why I suggested SUMMARY so you could have a format rather than your data dictate the groups that appear in your table (including zero counts).

michtka
Fluorite | Level 6

Yers, you right, this "or upcase(leg_sort)=PLACEBO" i am not interested in....

In the way of proc sql you are right too, I was expected someone to help me with some condition to consider all

the possible values of leg_sort.

I dont think there any option can cover it using proc sql....but i think we can create a final dataset considering this extra record placebo with 0 value.

michtka
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm sorry for my confussion...but still not right...because

abviously It generate a record with placebo n=1, and I am interesting in a dataset just as Mike Zdeb did (counts), but using proc sql.

data set COUNTS ...

Obs    leg_sort    N

1     drug        2

2     placebo     0

Astounding
PROC Star

Assuming you change the WHERE clause to add "or upcase(leg_sort)='PLACEBO'" you have two ways to fix the result.

You could always use a DATA step before printing to change N for Placebo to 0.  Alternatively, you could select a more complex statistic that doesn't require a subsequent DATA step.  You'll have to check the syntax on this because SQL is a secondary language for me:

select min( count(distinct subjid), sum(trtrel) ) as N,

Good luck.

mkeintz
PROC Star

OK, I understand now.

Then how about a union of the "where trtel"  where you count the subject id's with the "leg_sort eq 'placebo'" case with N specified as missing.  I only tested this SQL code with your 3 observations, but it worked in that case (I prefer proc summary).  I moved the respective WHERE clauses into data set name parameters so that I didn't have to figure out their influence as sql expressions.  SQL mavens might have a much more elegant way to do this.

proc sql;

select count(distinct subjid) as n, leg_sort, 'Subjects Available for AE' as text

from new (where=(trtrel eq 1))

union

select . as n, leg_sort, 'Subject Available for AE' as text

from new (where=(leg_sort eq 'placebo'))

group by leg_sort;

quit;

michtka
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks mkeintz, this exactly like I wanted.

I need to add an if consition to your code, because not always n(placebo)=.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 5 in conversation