BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Liquid
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I am trying to use the handy rename function (http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrdict/64316/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a003122440.htm)s in  to change the name of external files.

This works:

DATA _NULL_;

rc=rename("c:\testsas\file", "c:\testsas\file_renamed", 'file');

PUT rc;

RUN;

But this does not work:

DATA _NULL_;

rc=rename("c:\test sas\file", "c:\test sas\file_renamed", 'file');

PUT rc;

RUN;

How can I get it to work when there are spaces in the directory/file?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Below code works for me with SAS9.4 under Win7. Are you 100% sure that the file you want to rename exists under your path?

DATA _NULL_;

rc=rename("C:\test\name with blank\have.txt", "C:\test\name with blank\have_renamed.txt", 'file');

PUT rc;

RUN;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Is avoiding spaces in file and/or directory names an answer? I have seen more issues on this with SAS. the problem is you need ^ at the oslevel arround the file/directory name. This "often ha a different meaning in Sas or in thé she'll in between. That is becoming a fight on to the ' and ". Sometimes disappearing magically.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Liquid
Calcite | Level 5

Unfortunately we don't have rights to change some of the parent directories.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Did you try; embedding in single quotes as indication of a sas string and inner embedded with double quotes as of Windows allowing spaces?

You are seeing the ' and " close after each other.

'"Test folfder/file bsme"'

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Below code works for me with SAS9.4 under Win7. Are you 100% sure that the file you want to rename exists under your path?

DATA _NULL_;

rc=rename("C:\test\name with blank\have.txt", "C:\test\name with blank\have_renamed.txt", 'file');

PUT rc;

RUN;

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Enclose the names in additional single quotes:

'"c:\testsas\file"', '"c:\testsas\file_renamed"'

and put a big sign up at the company's door:

DO NOT USE BLANKS IN FILENAMES

(all employees repeat 100 times during morning meditation)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation