BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Tal
Pyrite | Level 9 Tal
Pyrite | Level 9

i have a  csv file and  data starts  from  4th road (3rd road is variable names).

Is there a way i can  import it  using proc import?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Its not really a CSV file then is it.  CSV file has row 1 with column names, row 2 data starts and both are delimited by comma's.  You have a CSV "like" file.  Step one, infile the datafile, read whole thing and if _n_ > 2 then output to new file.  Step 2, read in the new file with just the headers and data.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
arodriguez
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Use this statement in the proc import
DATAROW=4;
ballardw
Super User

If you want to get the variable names from the file I believe that you'll need to delete or cut and paste the first two rows to another file. Currently proc import expects the variables to be on the first row.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Its not really a CSV file then is it.  CSV file has row 1 with column names, row 2 data starts and both are delimited by comma's.  You have a CSV "like" file.  Step one, infile the datafile, read whole thing and if _n_ > 2 then output to new file.  Step 2, read in the new file with just the headers and data.

Tal
Pyrite | Level 9 Tal
Pyrite | Level 9

we  are trying to  put one  process  in production so  i cant  really play  with the  file (cutting,copying,pasting...) and  that file will come  in externaly as a  CSV one. So far they been sending a xls file where  data starts from 4th row but it was  easy to import it using the "startrow" and "namerow" within the proc import which does not work when it comes   to CSV.

So:

1.  i should hope the csv file will always  have  the  headers  in the  first row and  data  from the second  onwards?

2. infile the  csv file and   read in  from _n_>2 ?

Thank you guys

arodriguez
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

proc import datafile="path/Have.csv"
            dbms=csv
            out=Want
            replace;
         datarow=2;
run;

As says, you could not get the names with proc import if doesn't start in the first row

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

PROC IMPORT will help you with a well-formed CSV file -- glean variable names from the first row, and "guess" the variable types based on the remaining data rows.  But as others point out, this depends on having data begin in the second row.

If there are blank rows, or rows that contain information that is not data, then PROC IMPORT might not behave as well.  In this case it might be better to use INFILE with a CSV file.  But you'll need to define the variable attributes, informats, and exert more control over how the file is read in.  

Behind the scenes, PROC IMPORT generates DATA step code to do its work, so you might consider just short-circuiting that and write your own DATA step for full control.  More work, but brings you more flexibility over reading a file whose format you don't control.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
ballardw
Super User

If you know what the structure of the file will be, as in agreed upon by the providers and users, and the data columns remain in the same order and you know the characteristics such as length, format and data type then you use a data step to read the file. The infile statement would use the firstobs=4 or whatever to point to the data row.

You can use Proc import to give you a leg up on writing the code by 1) putting an example file in a nice format such as row 1 = headers, 2) run proc import. The log will have the data step code generated to read the file. Copy that out and save as a separate program file. 3) modify the informats, formats and add label code and 4) change the Firstobs to match the actual data. I would recommend modifying the code to use a filename statement and fileref in the data step for running against later data sets.

With the data step code the only concerns become undocumented changes such as change of order of variables, changed number of header rows and changed lengths of variable contents.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Well, you have some technical advice above.  I would just like to add that it is all in the documentation.  Ensure you have a document which describes the CSV data.  This should be signed by both parties and ahered to.  The programming is a very simple matter then, merely coding the information in the agreement, but without an agreement you could end up changing things each time.  Simple programming advice: 

Document

Agree

then

Code.

Tal
Pyrite | Level 9 Tal
Pyrite | Level 9

yea CSV files indeed come as you  said RW9 so i panicked  for no reasons  but  thank you guys for the  hints

MikeZdeb
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi.  If you have an XLS file with the first two rows blank, column names in row 3, data starting in row 4 ... try this with the attached XLS file ...

libname x 'z:\test.xls';

data new;
set x.'sheet1$'n ;
run;

libname x clear;

data set NEW ...

Obs     x     y     z         date    name

1     10    20    30    15OCT2015    HEY
 2     99    99     .    01JAN1960    IT
 3      1     2     3    11NOV2011    WORKS

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 6 in conversation