BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
wkossack
Calcite | Level 5
I'm using proc survey select to randomly sample a population.

I've noticed some curious patterns in the resulting samples and I'm looking into the source.

Are there any problems with the randomness of survey select samples using the default seed? I've seen similar problems in random number generators only to discover that the period of the random numbers is smaller than I need
1 REPLY 1
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
You might want to look at the documentation
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63033/HTML/default/viewer.htm#/documentation/cdl/...

and see whether the METHOD= option offers you a method closer to your liking (by my count, there are at least 10 or 11 methods to try).

As it says on the above page: "If you do not specify the METHOD= option, by default, PROC SURVEYSELECT uses simple random sampling (METHOD=SRS) " and the doc for the SRS method explains that SRS is simple random sampling, which is selection with equal probability and without replacement. And for more information about simple random sampling, you are further referred to:
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63033/HTML/default/viewer.htm#/documentation/cdl/...

cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation