BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ybz12003
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hello:

I have transpose program below.  However, I got an error message for Log shown below.  Please advice how to fix this question.

proc transpose data=have out=trans

prefix=Sale_record;

var Sale1_recode-Sale6_record;

by CarID;

run;

quit;

ERROR: Sale1_record does not have a numeric suffix.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
collinelliot
Barite | Level 11

The "-" to list variables only applies when the variables have a numeric suffix: sales1- sales10.

You can use a "--" to list variables that are actually in that order in the data, but be sure of what you're asking it to do.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
collinelliot
Barite | Level 11

The "-" to list variables only applies when the variables have a numeric suffix: sales1- sales10.

You can use a "--" to list variables that are actually in that order in the data, but be sure of what you're asking it to do.

Rwon
Obsidian | Level 7

To add on to Collin,

You will have to list out all the variables in the var statement since they don't end in a number. Alternatively, you can rename the variables to end with a number if you want to use the '-' feature. 

Assuming that 'Sale1_recode' was a typo for 'Sale1_record':

*Method 1;
var Sale1_record Sale2_record Sale3_record Sale4_record Sale5_record Sale6_record;
by CarID;
run;
quit;

*Method 2;
proc transpose data=have(rename=(Sale1_record=Sale_record1 Sale2_record=Sale_record2 Sale3_record=Sale_record3 
                                 Sale4_record=Sale_record4 Sale5_record=Sale_record5 Sale6_record=Sale_record6)) 
                         out=trans
prefix=Sale_record;
var Sale_record1-Sale_record6;
by CarID;
run;
quit;

ybz12003
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi, Rwon:

Thanks for your information.  unfortunately, I have 50 similar names as Sale(n)_record.   I can't list all of them one by one. 

Rwon
Obsidian | Level 7

If the variables in the dataset are structured such that each set of names are in order (left to right), you can use '--' for each set of variables. This will take all variables in the dataset between and including the ones listed.

I.e.

var Sale1_record--Sale6_record;
by CarID;
run;
quit;
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

In the future make sure to name series of variablees with the sequence number at the end of the name.

Personally for a one off analysis I would just run a little program to generate the names and then copy and paste them.

data _null_;
  do i=1 to 50 ;
    name = cats('sales',i,'_record');
    put name ;
  end;
run;

If you find that you need to reference a number of different lists of variables in this way then you might want to make a little macro to generate the names.

%macro names(n,prefix,suffix);
%local i;
%do i=1 %to &n ; &prefix.&i.&suffix %end;
%mend;
var %names(50,sales,_record);
ybz12003
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Could I use dim to replace 50?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

DIM() of what?

@ybz12003 wrote:

Could I use dim to replace 50?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation