Retail Store 4 2

using this code -

PROC TRANSPOSE DATA=COMP OUT=COMP_TR
(RENAME=(0=PART_EMPLOYEE 1=PART_SPOUSES)) ;
BY TYPE;
ID RLTN;
VAR participants;
RUN;

My issue is that I dont have a valid Rename option because the field names in the transposed dataset are numeric. Is there an automatic way of doing it?

The only other option I see is to change 0 and 1 to Employee and Spouse before the transpose. I am looking if there is a way to avoid that.

Thanks,
saspert
6 REPLIES 6
data_null__
Jade | Level 19
For ID variables that don't produce SAS names PROC TRANSPOSE adds _ to the value, see docs for details.

So your just need to modify your RENAME option. I would use the method in the second TRANSPOSE with FORMAT for RLTN.

[pre]
data COMP;
input Type &$16. RLTN PARTICIPANTS;
cards;
Distribution Center 0 4
Distribution Center 1 2
Headquarters 0 8
Headquarters 1 3
Retail Store 0 4
Retail Store 1 2
;;;;
run;
PROC TRANSPOSE DATA=COMP OUT=COMP_TR
(RENAME=(_0=PART_EMPLOYEE _1=PART_SPOUSES)) ;
BY TYPE;
ID RLTN;
VAR participants;
RUN;
proc print;
run;

proc format;
value rltn 0='PartEmployee' 1='PartSpouses';
run;

PROC TRANSPOSE DATA=COMP OUT=COMP_TR(drop=_name_);
BY TYPE;
ID RLTN;
VAR participants;
format rltn rltn.;
RUN;
proc print;
run;
[/pre]
saspert
Pyrite | Level 9
Thank you Data _null_.

Do you know if there is an option to automatically convert missing values to 0? Suppose I have the original dataset like this -

Male A 10
Female A 5
Male B 10

When I transpose this I get
A B
Male 10 10
Female 5 .

I want the Female-B cell to be converted to 0 rather than missing value. The reason behind this is that I have several rows that are being transposed to columns.

Regards,
saspert. Message was edited by: saspert
data_null__
Jade | Level 19
PROC STDIZE is pretty easy.

[pre]
data test;
input gender $ id $ y;
cards;
Male A 10
Female A 5
Male B 10
;;;;
run;
proc transpose out=tall;
by id;
var y;
id gender;
run;
proc stdize out=zeroed reponly missing=0;
var _numeric_;
run;
proc print;
run;
[/pre]
saspert
Pyrite | Level 9
Great ! Thank you Data _null_. Proc STDIZE is new to me. It will suit my purpose (even though I am not familiar with it 😄 ).

To your suggestion of using _0 and _1, I am finding using the Prefix option may save me some programming time. I was not familiar with the prefix option until I started researching. But thank you for your suggestion.

I have a related issue. There are no errors but I keep getting the warning that some of the drop variables are never referenced -

113 PROC TRANSPOSE DATA=COUNT OUT=COUNT_TR (DROP=_LABEL_ _NAME_) PREFIX=COUNT ;
114 BY TYPE;
115 ID RELATIONSHIP;
116 VAR COUNT;
117 RUN;

WARNING: The variable _LABEL_ in the DROP, KEEP, or RENAME list has never been referenced. Message was edited by: saspert
WarrenR_SAS
SAS Employee
The _LABEL_ variable is only created by PROC TRANSPOSE if there are variable labels in the input data set for a variable listed in the VAR statement.

If none of those variables have labels, _LABEL_ is not created and therefore cannot be dropped. Removing _LABEL_ from the DROP= option would get rid of the warning.

If, for some reason, you must leave _LABEL_ in the DROP= option, you would get the same effect by adding a LABEL statement in the the PROC TRANSPOSE step, specifying any non-blank label for any variable in your VAR statement. The _LABEL_ column will be created, then dropped. A bit odd, but no harm, no foul.

-Warren Repole, SAS
saspert
Pyrite | Level 9
Hi Warren,
Thank you for your suggestion. The reason I had drop= _label_ is because the _label_ field shows up in the resulting transposed dataset. Now if I remove the _label_ from the drop = list, the warning goes away but I see the field in the tranposed dataset.

Regards,
saspert

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation