BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sasecn
Quartz | Level 8

Wondered if there is a way to keep the same order of the observations when using summary functions in proc sql. For example, from sashelp.cars, I create a new table that has a new variable called "min_length', and the min is within "type". I believe the sashelp.cars is ordered by make first, then by other variables. If used the attached code to produce the new table, then compare two tables (exclude the new variable). I expect to see they should be the same, but I got the result that there are unequal obs. I think this is caused by the change in the order of obs.

proc sql;
create table new_cars as
select *, min(length) as min_length
from sashelp.cars
group by type
;
quit;

/* I think they should be the same if in the same oder */
proc compare base=sashelp.cars compare=new_cars (drop=min_length);
run;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @sasecn,

As PaigeMiller suggested, you need to add an ORDER BY clause to your PROC SQL step. Otherwise, PROC SQL doesn't really care about sort order.

Now the problem is to find a suitable sort key. PROC CONTENTS assures us that SASHELP.CARS is sorted by Make Type, but PROC FREQ tells us that this is not a unique key, hence insufficient for our intended ORDER BY clause. Since there is no obvious unique sort key, we must probably create one (temporarily), e.g., in a view:

data _tmp / view=_tmp;
set sashelp.cars;
_seqno=_n_;
run;

proc sql;
create table new_cars(drop=_seqno) as
from _tmp
group by type
order by _seqno;
drop view _tmp;
quit;

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Tell PROC SQL to order by that sequence, in other words by MAKE and MODEL.

--
Paige Miller
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @sasecn,

As PaigeMiller suggested, you need to add an ORDER BY clause to your PROC SQL step. Otherwise, PROC SQL doesn't really care about sort order.

Now the problem is to find a suitable sort key. PROC CONTENTS assures us that SASHELP.CARS is sorted by Make Type, but PROC FREQ tells us that this is not a unique key, hence insufficient for our intended ORDER BY clause. Since there is no obvious unique sort key, we must probably create one (temporarily), e.g., in a view:

data _tmp / view=_tmp;
set sashelp.cars;
_seqno=_n_;
run;

proc sql;
create table new_cars(drop=_seqno) as
from _tmp
group by type
order by _seqno;
drop view _tmp;
quit;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation