BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
datalligence
Fluorite | Level 6
I have a data set of about 600,000 obs. The variables I would like to use for grouping observations/transactions include numeric and categorical variables.

In PROC CLUSTER, which METHOD or distance measure would be the most appropriate?
2 REPLIES 2
Olivier
Pyrite | Level 9
Hi.
1) You will wait a long time for CLUSTER to cope with computations on such a big amount of observations. Consider using FASTCLUS to do the job, or at least create first-level clusters that would be processed afterwards (the two-stage method, I think the correct name for the method is when you look in the SAS help).
2) Use PRINQUAL or CORRESP procedures to pre-process your data : these can create numeric (continuous) variables summarizing information in categorical variables. Then merge with the already existing numeric information. And then cluster.
Regards.
Olivier
datalligence
Fluorite | Level 6
FASTCLUS has a lot of limitations, and is not suitable for mixed data.

I guess I will have to use PROC DISTANCE with Gower's dissimilarity. But when I run PROC CLUSTER, which distance method will be the most appropriate?

Thanks,
Romakanta

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation