BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
tmm
Fluorite | Level 6 tmm
Fluorite | Level 6

I am doing a case statement to calculate date1 to date2 for admissions. Some of them come back with an elapsed time like 527 or 15 but then others come back with a . because there is no elapsed time. I know SAS puts in a . when you are calculating for numeric and there is no value. I want to code my case statement so it will still calculate the elapsed time but if it finds a . it will make it just a 0. I tried the following but it does not work.

case when admitdt2 is not null and (dischdt1 <> admitdt2) then (admitdt2 - dischdt1) end as time1

case when admitdt3 is not null and (dischdt2 <> admitdt3) then (admitdt3 - dischdt2) end as time2

This code has more cases for all admit and disch dates and goes up to time30. Because some have no numeric return it replaces it with a . because it does not have a value to return.

I want to code in my case that if there is no numeric returned to put a 0 in instead of that .

I thought maybe

case when admitdt2 is not null and (dischdt1 <> admitdt2) then (admitdt2 - dischdt1)  end as time1

if time1 = . then 0

That does not work

5 REPLIES 5
Hima
Obsidian | Level 7

case when admitdt2 is not null and (dischdt1 <> admitdt2) then (admitdt2 - dischdt1) else 0 end as time1

Astounding
PROC Star

tmmm,

You should be able to do this without a CASE clause, something like:

sum(0, admitdt2-dischdt1) as time1,

sum(0, admitdt3-dischdt2) as time 2

Good luck.

Ksharp
Super User

I am not sure whether this code could work. not test.

case when admitdt2 is not null and (dischdt1 <> admitdt2) then ifn( admitdt2 - dischdt1=.,0, admitdt2 - dischdt1) end

Ksharp

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

The SQL syntax to use when replacing missing values with something else is the COALESCE function:

select coalesce(dischdt2 - admitdt1, 0) as time1,

coalesce(dischdt4 - admitdt3, 0) as time2, ...

also, since most DBMS have functions equivalent to coalesce, SAS can translate when accessing remote data.

PG

PG
tmm
Fluorite | Level 6 tmm
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation