BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
keen_sas
Quartz | Level 8
What are the possible methods for picking the maximum value from a variable in data set using data step (not using proc sql) .Can we do it with Max function . can anyone plz explain with ex?If not with MAX function any other method using data step .

Thanks in advance for your replies
2 REPLIES 2
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi,

data maximums;
*retain a variable which holds the maximum value found so far;
retain maximum;
set input_dataset;
*if you find a higher value then update the maximum;
if variable>maximum then maximum=variable;
run;

Your last observation will have the maxmum value in it.

There are many other ways but that's a pretty good simple starting point.

Cheers
Peter Message was edited by: pznew
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
I find questions of the type "I know how to do it in SQL but how do I do it in the data step" a bit strange. I use to ask myself the opposite question - how can I do it in SQL instead? I prefer SQL if performance and coding complexity is the same (or better in SQL). There are in my opinion two advantages by using SQL in such cases:
- Non SAS experts can read and understand the code.
- Running the code against non SAS data can exploit the possibilities of using the benefits in implicit SQL pass-thru, which in turn can increase performance.

Regards,
Linus
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation