BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
podarum
Quartz | Level 8

I'm so not good with macros, but trying to learn..

Would this be possible?  I have 5 different tables that I have to run throuhg first a proc transpose then a data step and lastly in a proc expand....long codes.  I guess I can copy the code 5 times and insert each table name, but if instead I can use macors, that would be much better.  Oh and one more thing the new output from each step to also be 'macroed' so I don't have to type the new table name in... so the output from the proc transpose, to be somehow picked up by the second data step ?  I know I'm probably asking too much.. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Yes, you can.

%macro test(indsn, outdsn);

/* put all your sas code here, then replace your input dataset with &indsn, output dateset with &outdsn */

%mend test;

/*apply your macro */

%test(in1,out1)

%test(in5,out5)

/* example */

%macro test(indsn,outdsn);

data &outdsn;

set sashelp.&indsn;

proc print data=&syslast (obs=5);

run;

%mend;

%test(class,out1)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Yes, you can.

%macro test(indsn, outdsn);

/* put all your sas code here, then replace your input dataset with &indsn, output dateset with &outdsn */

%mend test;

/*apply your macro */

%test(in1,out1)

%test(in5,out5)

/* example */

%macro test(indsn,outdsn);

data &outdsn;

set sashelp.&indsn;

proc print data=&syslast (obs=5);

run;

%mend;

%test(class,out1)

podarum
Quartz | Level 8

Something like this ? it didn't work..

%macro test (indsn, outdsn);

proc transpose data=&indsn

OUT=&outdsn (drop=_NAME_ rename=(F1=CMA_NAME _label_=Date col1=HAM));

var Jan_1985--Jul_2011;

by F1 notsorted;

run;

%mend test;

%test (Data.A_B,Data.A_B2);

podarum
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks linlin, it actually did work.. i was having problem with my program.. thanks

Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

You welcome. I am glad it works.

don't add ";" to "%test (Data.A_B,Data.A_B2)"

it may cause problem.

podarum
Quartz | Level 8

To add to this, how could I make sure that each of my new 5 tables, get a new varaible inserted?  For example out1 would have NewVar = "Red' and for out2 would have NewVar="Blue"... thanks

Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

you can add another macro variable;

%macro test(indsn, outdsn,nvar);

/* put all your sas code here, then replace your input dataset with &indsn, output dateset with &outdsn

replace newvar="Blue" with newvar="&nvar" */

%mend test;

%test (Data.A_B,Data.A_B2,Blue)

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

This is a very good example of using SAS Macro processing. While this paper won't answer all your specific questions, I believe it has enough good examples to get you what you want.

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi28/056-28.pdf

The key to success is to start with a working SAS program. Then print it out and grab a yellow highlighter and highlight all the code snippets like dataset names that you do not want to type. Those highlighted places now become the places where you might use a macro variable to substitute for the hard-coded name. Then go on from there, to introduce conditional logic if you need it and make a macro program, if you need it. The above paper takes you from the very beginning to having a complete macro program with conditional processing. Reading that, plus looking at some other papers will help you a lot.

cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation