BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ying
Fluorite | Level 6
When pull all the records that contain "SUN" string,
I normally use INDEX(UPCASE(desc), 'SUN') >0 on Proc SQL, but this time, it would NOT work and I have to use UPCASE(desc) LIKE '%SUN%' on Proc SQL to make it work. I just want to know why? Could someone tell me?

Thank you! Ying
7 REPLIES 7
art297
Opal | Level 21
Ying,

Can you provide the forum with an example data step that produces a file where the two proc sqls differ, as well as the full two proc sql calls?

Art
Ying
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you!

-- Here is the code with 1,301,674 rows and 1 colunm

proc sql ;
select member_id
from member_promotion_tbl as p
left join
member_offer_tbl as c
on p.offer_id=c.offer_id
where upcase(desc) like '%SUN%';
quit;

-- but 0 rows and 1 colunm if "where index(upcase(desc), 'SUN')>0" was used.

I am not sure why.
art297
Opal | Level 21
Almost! Can you provide samples of the two files, in the form of a data step, but with only about 10 records each?

Specifically, though, an example where the one code works, but the other doesn't work.

Art
SUN59338
Obsidian | Level 7
but I tested both works;
data test;
desc='absunc';
output;
desc='abced';output;
desc='sunac';output;
run;

proc sql;
select * from test where upcase(desc) like '%SUN%';
select * from test where index(upcase(desc),'SUN')>0;
quit;
Ksharp
Super User
I think the preblom you meet is because the 'desc' is the SAS's key-word,that means sas has special usage for 'desc' ,you will notice that the color of 'desc' would be blue when you input it. You can try to rename 'desc'.
The code below would have the correct result.

[pre]
proc sql;
select *
from sashelp.class
where index(upcase(name),'NE')>0;
quit;
[/pre]

Ksharp
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Suggest you post-reply with a SAS log output revealing all SAS code executed and two code-executions where you are not getting output that you expected. Based on personal experience, simply showing SAS statements doesn't provide enough actual evidence.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/sqlproc/62086/HTML/default/a002536894.htm

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
Ksharp
Super User
SBB .
You are right. I actually not test author's code,Just keep my mind free.
Although the author has meet the problem ,I test my code correctly, and it can work.
Maybe there are some other factor to make author wrong.I am not quit sure.:-)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation