BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Marilyn
Calcite | Level 5
Why does SAS pull in a numeric or general formatted column as character when it is formatted as something else in Excel? I am just using the general proc import:
PROC IMPORT OUT= WORK.EMPLIST
DATAFILE= "S:\emplist.xls"
DBMS=EXCEL REPLACE;
RANGE="EMP$";
GETNAMES=YES;
MIXED=NO;
SCANTEXT=YES;
USEDATE=YES;
SCANTIME=YES;
RUN;
1 REPLY 1
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
You probably need to take this to Tech Support for a definitive answer. I will hazard a couple of observations.

First, the behavior you see will vary significantly by version of SAS. SAS 9.2 is much more robust about importing Excel than is 9.1.3 than is 8.2. SAS has made many improvements with 9.2.

I think that, for general formatting, SAS looks at all or some of the observations to determine type. If there is any character in the column, then SAS brings it in as text (BTW, a leading space before a number is text)

Doc

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation