BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sasmilly
Calcite | Level 5

I need to convert a excel file with the extension 'xls'  to sas dataset, but there has non-breaking space in the file. when I use 'PROC IMPORT' for the converting,    COMPRESS can not make it disappeared. How to deal with this?

2 REPLIES 2
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

A non-breaking space is code 255, or ASCII 'FF'x, have you tried to remove this from your text string?

y=compress(x,'FF'x);

--
Paige Miller
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Most of the non-breaking spaces I've come across had an ASCII code of 160. So, my suggestion would have been something like

y=compress(x, 'A0'x)

or, to remove both 'A0'x and 'FF'x,

y=compress(x, 'A0FF'x),

if you had not said that "COMPRESS can not make it disappeared."

Maybe you're better off using relevant Excel functions to "clean" your Excel file before importing it. Here's the link to the pertinent page of the Excel online help.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation