BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
brucehughw
Obsidian | Level 7

I'd like to use proc sql to extract selected rows and selected columns from a large table, "largeTable. My idea is to use proc sql's describe table for the largeTable, edit the "create table ..." results from largeTable and create a template for "smallTable," (smallTable will have only a few columns) and somehow (here's my question) populate smallTable's columns with filtered rows (say, someNumericField = 4) from largeTable. Can someone please explain how to do this.

Thanks much, Bruce

Using SAS 9.3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Subseting a small table from a large one:

Proc sql;

create table SMALL_TABLE as select

var1, var2, ...varn    /* list of variables seperated by comma */

from LARGE_TABLE

WHERE   ...     /* write here your conditions, like:  var1=4 and ... or .... */

; quit;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Subseting a small table from a large one:

Proc sql;

create table SMALL_TABLE as select

var1, var2, ...varn    /* list of variables seperated by comma */

from LARGE_TABLE

WHERE   ...     /* write here your conditions, like:  var1=4 and ... or .... */

; quit;

brucehughw
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks very much! I assume that the var1, var2, ..., varn code in the select statement can include labels and formats, correct?

Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

When you create a new SAS dataset from another SAS table,

all attributes of the varibales are inherited, including length, labels, formats, type etc. - from the input table

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation