BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
teg_76
Calcite | Level 5

I'm having more date issues.  I need to add a certain amount of months to a date, and the convert it to the 'YYYYMM' format.

I can do this in PROC SQL if I'm pulling data from the oracle db.  Once I have a work table in SAS though I can no longer do this.  The proc sql doesn't recognize the to_char function or the add_months function. I don't know how to do the equivalent in SAS.

Basically, if I have a date

16SEP2012:00:00:00

I need to add months to it, than convert it to a 'YYYYMM' format.  So in my code below, if RECALL=2,

then I would add two months to the date above, and then convert it to YYYYMM.  I'd end up with 201211 (december 2011).

Here's what I'm doing:

PROC SQL;

UPDATE PL.TREATMENT_PLANS_ADJ_RECALL SET RECALLDATE1=TO_CHAR(ADD_MONTHS(R.RECALLDATE, RECALL),'YYYYMM');

RUN;

If I were connecting to Oracle it would work.  But I can't connect to Oracle because that's not where my table is.

Thanks for helping out this SAS date newbie!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
teg_76
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks SAS Bigot and BobD for saving me hours of frustration!!!!!  Wow my day just got better.  It worked.  Here's the final solution:

DATA PL.TREATMENT_PLANS_ADJ_RECALL;

SET PL.TREATMENT_PLANS_ADJ_RECALL_SETUP;

recalldate2 = put(intnx( 'month', datepart(recalldate), recall, 's' ), yymmn6. );

RUN;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
teg_76
Calcite | Level 5

sorry 201211 would be november 2012.

FloydNevseta
Pyrite | Level 9

Here is the equivalent SAS code:

recalldate1 = put( intnx( 'month', recalldate, recall, 's' ), yymmn6. );

teg_76
Calcite | Level 5

Hi SAS_Bigot,

Thanks for your help.  I'm getting an error when I run this:

DATA PL.TREATMENT_PLANS_ADJ_RECALL_2;
     SET PL.TREATMENT_PLANS_ADJ_RECALL;
     recalldate2 = intnx( 'month', recalldate, recall, 's' );
RUN;

I started with the add months portion of the code.  Here's the error I get:

NOTE: Character values have been converted to numeric values at the places given by:
      (Line):(Column).
      2907:47
NOTE: Numeric values have been converted to character values at the places given by:
      (Line):(Column).
      2907:19
NOTE: Invalid argument to function INTNX at line 2907 column 19.
RECALL=6 RECALLTYPE=PX RECALLDATE=16SEP2012:00:00:00 RECALLDATE1=201209 RECALLDATE2=.
RECALLDATE3=201309 RECALLDATE4=201403 RECALLDATE5=201409 UNITS=3 CARIES=C0-L PERIO=P1-L AGE=3
_ERROR_=1 _N_=1.....................

Do you know what may be the problem?

FloydNevseta
Pyrite | Level 9

Looks like recalldate is a character. Read it in with a datetime. informat and get the date part of the variable. Revised code:

recalldate2 = put( intnx( 'month', datepart( input( recalldate, datetime. )), recall, 's' ), yymmn6. );

BobD
Fluorite | Level 6

It probably means that RECALLDATE in your SAS dataset is a character variable.  It might just look like a time-stamp, but I bet it's just a character string.

Run a PROC CONTENTS on your dataset to be sure.  If it is in fact numeric, it is a time-stamp (with a datetime format), and you will need to extract the "date" portion:

recalldate2 = intnx( 'month', datepart(recalldate), recall, 's' );

On the other hand, if it is a character string, re-read the first nine characters as a date:

recalldate2 = intnx( 'month', input(substr(recalldate,1,9),date9,), recall, 's' );

That should do it.

teg_76
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks SAS Bigot and BobD for saving me hours of frustration!!!!!  Wow my day just got better.  It worked.  Here's the final solution:

DATA PL.TREATMENT_PLANS_ADJ_RECALL;

SET PL.TREATMENT_PLANS_ADJ_RECALL_SETUP;

recalldate2 = put(intnx( 'month', datepart(recalldate), recall, 's' ), yymmn6. );

RUN;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation