BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ngnikhilgoyal
Calcite | Level 5

I wanted to drop a list of variables from my inputds. This list itself is present as observations in another dataset. After doing some googling, I found this excellent paper on the topic.

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi30/028-30.pdf

So i used the following code to make a list in a macro variable:

/*make a list of variables as a macro variable */

data _null_;

length allvars $1000;

retain allvars ' ';

set to_drop end=eof;

allvars = trim(left(allvars))||' '||left(_name_);

if eof then call symput('varlist', allvars);

run;

I am facing three problems now:

1) When I %PUT &VARLIST , the log displays only 31 of the variables whereas my list is actually 2000+ variables.

2) I don't clearly understand what the statement: trim(left(allvars)) || ' ' || left(_name_); is doing. I know trim removes leading spaces and left is to align left character strings but cannot understand the full statement.

3) Then I try to drop it from my inputds using the following code, I get a warning message and the drop doesn't happen:

data inputds2 (drop = &varlist);

set inputds;

run;

WARNING: The variable avg_weighted in the DROP, KEEP, or RENAME list has never been referenced.

NOTE: There were 43662 observations read from the data set WORK.INPUTDS.

NOTE: The data set WORK.INPUTDS2 has 43662 observations and 3465 variables.

In reality my variable name reads like : avg_weighted_minutes_view_3739 avg_weighted_minutes_view_7963 avg_weighted_minutes_view_(XXXX) The last 4 digits are random. The are SAS generated names since my labels contain spaces.

EDIT: Tried using another code which is working partially - it makes a bigger list- around 1000 of the 2000+ variables in the &VARLIST macro variable.

data _null_;

set to_drop;

call symput('varlist',trim(

resolve('&varlist')

)||' '||trim(_name_));

run;

%put &varlist;

Total beginner at SAS .

Thanks,

nikhil

Message was edited by: Nikhil Goyal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

Nikhil,

The problems you are noticing come about because $1000 is not long enough to hold 2000 variable names.  While you could increase it, there are easier ways to get the full set of 2000 names into a macro variable:

proc sql noprint;

select strip(_name_) into : varlist separated by ' ' from to_drop;

quit;

Finally, move the DROP to the SET statement to speed up processing:

data inputds2;

set inputds (drop=&varlist);

run;

Good luck.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Astounding
PROC Star

Nikhil,

The problems you are noticing come about because $1000 is not long enough to hold 2000 variable names.  While you could increase it, there are easier ways to get the full set of 2000 names into a macro variable:

proc sql noprint;

select strip(_name_) into : varlist separated by ' ' from to_drop;

quit;

Finally, move the DROP to the SET statement to speed up processing:

data inputds2;

set inputds (drop=&varlist);

run;

Good luck.

ngnikhilgoyal
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Astounding,

The proc sql creates the list very fast. However when I drop the &varlist, I get an error message:

: The variable _TYPE_ in the DROP, KEEP, or RENAME list has never been referenced.

290  run;

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

WARNING: The data set WORK.INPUTDS2 may be incomplete.  When this step was stopped there were 0

observations and 0 variables.

WARNING: Data set WORK.INPUTDS2 was not replaced because this step was stopped.

NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):

real time           1.03 seconds

cpu time            0.87 seconds

there is an observation called _TYPE_ in the to_drop list. I think that is causing the problem. Also I tried to increase the legth of allvars but i think there are limits - the 2000 variables have a length which exceeds the limit hence my &varlist is getting truncated ! 

data _null_;

length allvars $100000;

ballardw
Super User

Sounds like you have a variable in the to_drop dataset not in the data set you want to modify. I would guess that you have some sort of summary data set generated by a procedure that adds _type_ to identify the combination of variables represented by the record.

proc sql noprint;

select strip(_name_) into : varlist separated by ' '

from to_drop

where _name_ ne '_TYPE_';

quit;

Astounding
PROC Star

I agree with ballardw's diagnosis.  It might be safer to try:

where upcase(_name_) ne '_TYPE_'

Also note, SAS places a limit on the length of character variables.  100,000 exceeds that ... I believe the limit is roughly 64,000.  Macro variables have a similar size restriction as well.  So if you had 5,000 variable names to drop, even a single macro variable might not be able to hold them all.

Looks like you're most of the way there.

ngnikhilgoyal
Calcite | Level 5

You are spot on ! that worked and fixed it . I am thinking the best practice is to first create a new to_drop2 (matched list) from to_drop and inputds containing only common varnames. something along the line of :

proc sql;

create table to_drop2 as

select distinct a._name_

from to_drop as a

inner join dictionary.columns as b

on a._name_ = b.name

where b.memname = 'INPUTDS';

quit;

but it's returning a 0 obs dataset . . . if it works then I wont have to bother with the manual entering the "where _name_ . . . . "

KevinL70
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

Memname is always stored in upper case, so if you used:

where b.memname = 'INPUTDS';

it should work.

smiller933
Calcite | Level 5

Character values in SAS are case-sensitive, so when joining two datasets, you have to remember that and consider how that might affect your join.

"Note that many character values in the DICTIONARY tables are stored as all-uppercase characters; you should design your queries accordingly." That is from http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrcon/62955/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a002300185.htm

So I would suggest that you use the UpCase function as below: 

on UpCase(a._name_) = b.name

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Seems to be a growing number of these type of questions regarding using macro variables to hold large lists of items.  IMO its really not a good idea.  There are limits on the lengths of the them to start with, and the spaghetti %&&&&%& nonsense needed to handle them just gets out of hand.  I would recommend you look at the metadata for your dataset and work from there:

/* I assue your dataset with variables to drop is have and is in work, and you have a dataset called drop_list which has one column called name */

data _null_;

set drop_list end=last;

if _n_=1 then call execute('data have; set have (drop='||strip(name));

else call execute(' '||strip(name));

if last then call execute('); run;');

run;

This will create a dataset code which will have a drop statement for each row in drop_list.

Furthermore, SAS itself keeps plenty of metadata on the datasets in SASHELP.VCOLUMN/VTABLE.  From there you can query columns, types, obs etc.

ngnikhilgoyal
Calcite | Level 5

Repeatedly getting error message:

155-205: Line generated by the CALL EXECUTE routine.

2076 +  .

-

ERROR 23-7: Invalid value for the DROP option.

The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

WARNING: The data set WORK.have may be incomplete.  When this step was stopped there were 0

observations and 0 variables.

WARNING: Data set WORK.have was not replaced because this step was stopped.

NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):

real time           3.66 seconds

cpu time            3.29 seconds

art297
Opal | Level 21

Since you are going for a "best practice", I would use the approach suggested by .

The following uses that approach, combined with your latest code:

data to_drop;

informat _name_ $32.;

input _name_;

cards;

_type_

name

height

;

proc sql;

create table to_drop2 as

select distinct a._name_

from to_drop as a

inner join dictionary.columns as b

on upcase(a._name_) = upcase(b.name)

where b.libname='SASHELP' and

b.memname = 'CLASS'

;

quit;

data _null_;

set to_drop2 end=last;

if _n_=1 then call execute('data want; set sashelp.class (drop=');

call execute(' '||strip(_name_));

if last then call execute('); run;');

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 7 in conversation