BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Q1983
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

This code represents a call symput macro that formats the last day of the previous month.  I include the output symbolgen

data _null_;

call symput('m',put(&pbd_date,yymmdd10.));  

run;

%put &m;

SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable M resolves to 2014-09-30

10648  %put &m;

2014-09-30

Now I want to use &m to define the previous month and the last 2 months consecutively.  The data _null_ accomplished that with no issue

However if you look at the information in red, when I use the put statements I get March and April 1965 not 2014.  I am scratching my head here.  For those who have worked with date variables any suggestions

data _NULL_;

call symput ( 'curr_month1', cat("'"||put(intnx('month',&m.,-1,'e'),yymmdd10.)||"'"));

call symput ( 'prev_month1', cat("'"||put(intnx('month',&m.,-2,'e'),yymmdd10.)||"'"));

run;

%put &curr_month1 &prev_month1;

10611  call symput ( 'curr_month1', cat("'"||put(intnx('month',&m.,-1,'e'),yymmdd10.)||"'"));

10612  call symput ( 'prev_month1', cat("'"||put(intnx('month',&m.,-2,'e'),yymmdd10.)||"'"));

10613  run;

NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):

real time           0.00 seconds

cpu time            0.00 seconds

SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable CURR_MONTH1 resolves to '1965-04-30'

SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable PREV_MONTH1 resolves to '1965-03-31'

10614  %put &curr_month1 &prev_month1;

'1965-04-30' '1965-03-31'

6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

If the only thing you are going to use &m for is to create those values then don't bother. You have a string which the date functions won't recognize correctly. Hint: do the arithmetic 2014 minus 09 minus 30 and display the result using a date format..

Use the &pbd_date instead in your current and previous month calculations.

RamKumar
Fluorite | Level 6

I tried the code below, but the macro put statement doesn't produce the desired result 2014/10/08 in the macro variable m. Do I need to change any formats?

15         options symbolgen;
17         %let pbd_date= 2014/10/08;
18         data _null_;
20           call symput('m',put(&pbd_date,yymmdd10.));
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable PBD_DATE resolves to 2014/10/08
22         run;

NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
      real time           0.00 seconds
      cpu time            0.00 seconds

24         %put &m;
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable M resolves to 1960-01-26
1960-01-26

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

I believe that you haven't fully understood yet how SAS dates work and that this is the reason for your struggle. The following link should help you to overcome this hurdle SAS(R) 9.4 Language Reference: Concepts, Third Edition

And here some code which should do what you're after. I personally wouldn't add the quotes to the date string. You can do this later when using the macro variable.

%let pbd_date=%sysfunc(inputn(2014/10/08,yymmdd10.));

data _null_;

call symput('curr_month1', cats("'",put(intnx('month',&pbd_date.,-1,'e'),yymmdd10.),"'"));

call symput('prev_month1', cats("'",put(intnx('month',&pbd_date.,-2,'e'),yymmdd10.),"'"));

call symputx('curr_month2', put(intnx('month',&pbd_date.,-1,'e'),yymmdd10.));

call symputx('prev_month2', put(intnx('month',&pbd_date.,-2,'e'),yymmdd10.));

run;

%put &pbd_date &m;

%put &curr_month1 &prev_month1;

%put &curr_month2 &prev_month2;

ballardw
Super User

Use the value of &pgd_date In this code you posted earlier:

data _null_;

run;

since M resolved to 2014-09-30 then &pdd_date was the proper date value.

But when you do:

%let pbd_date= 2014/10/08;

You are assigning it a completely different value. Why? Where did the original &pbd_date come from? USE IT.

Loko
Barite | Level 11

Hello,

The reason for getting the incorrect values is the using of text value provided by the macro variable &m as the second argument of the function intnx. As per SAS documentation of intnx function:

start-from

specifies a SAS expression that represents a SAS date, time, or datetime value that identifies a starting point

One solution:

data _NULL_;

call symput ( 'curr_month1',
cat("'"||put(intnx('month',input("&m",yymmdd10.),-1,'e'),yymmdd10.)||"'"));
call symput ( 'prev_month1',
cat("'"||put(intnx('month',input("&m",yymmdd10.),-2,'e'),yymmdd10.)||"'"));

run;

nathan_owens
Obsidian | Level 7

In your current approach, you are converting a date(&pbd_date) to a string (&M).  You are then trying to convert this date back to a string before performing calculations.  You can greatly simplify the process if you use the original date .

data _null_;

call symput('curr_month1', put(intnx('month',(&pbd_date,-     1,'e'),yymmdd10.);

call symput('prev_month1', put(intnx('month',(&pbd_date,-2,'e'),yymmdd10.);

run;

The reason this works is because &m is not an actual date, but rather a string.  If you want to stay with your previous approach, you can do that using an informat:  input(&m,yymmdd10.).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation