BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
pinkyc
Calcite | Level 5

If I have a dataset as such:

PatID     Num_1  Num_2  Denom

A          0               1          1

B          1               1          1

C          1               1          1

And I need to sum up the number of 1's in Num_1, Num_2, and Denom and store them in a variable then further utilize them as such:

Meas1 = Num_1/Denom

Meas2 = Num_2/Denom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

Do these variable ever take values other than 0, 1 or possibly missing?

If not then

denom=sum(num_1,num_2);

or

denom = sum ( num_1*(num_1=1), num_2*(num_2=1));

or less code though less obvious what it is doing:

denom=count(cats(num_1,num_2),'1');

but is easier to add more variables to

pinkyc
Calcite | Level 5

There are no missing values, only 1's or 0's.  So for num_1 which could have 50,000 variables I want to count how many 1's are in the entire column.  Then count how many 1's are in the num_2 column.  They represent different things so should be stored as separate variables.  The Denom actually has 1 for all the observations since it's a denominator.

Perhaps this example is clearer:

ID     Num_1 Num_2 Denom

A     0          1               1

B     1          1               1

C     1          1               1

D     0          1                1   

E     0          0               1

F     0          1               1

So here, Num_1 has two 1's in the column.  Num_2 has five 1's in the column.  Denom has six 1's.

For Meas1 representing Num_1, it would be 2/6.  For Meas2 representing Num_2, it would be 5/6.

Reeza
Super User

I assume you mean over rows, not columns.

Proc means works well:

proc means data=have sum;

var meas1 meas2 denom;

output out=want sum=/autoname;

run;

Proc print data=want;

run;

pinkyc
Calcite | Level 5

For the purpose of what I need to do, it's the 1's in all of num_1 taken as a total sum (say 2 in my example) divided by the total sum of all the 1's in the denom column (3 in my example).  Same for num_2.  I wasn't clear sorry, didn't mean it to be taken as num_1/denom and num_2/denom per row but counted through the entire column of x observations.

Reeza
Super User

Try the code, thats what I assumed.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation