BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
brophymj
Quartz | Level 8

My team have recently been updated to SAS 9.4 from 9.2 and I can't see any significant benefit so far.

Does it run faster? Any other benefits?

20 REPLIES 20
Tim_SAS
Barite | Level 11

That's a big question. For a good overview, check out What's New in SAS 9.3 and What's New in SAS(R) 9.4.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

What SAS products do you license?

Need for any new SAS product?

What constraints/problems do you have in the existing environment?

9.2 is getting quite old, so the willingness from SAS to provide fixes might be limited.

Data never sleeps
brophymj
Quartz | Level 8

Just the basic SAS product.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

So read the links provided by Tim, and list for yourself the things that you wish/need to improve in your environment.

Data never sleeps
ballardw
Super User

Lots of changes in the statistical graphics parts.

GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

If all you've just got is Base SAS (you said 'basic SAS'), there's a lot of new stuff in in the ods graphics (proc sgplot, etc).

If you have SAS/Graph, there's a lot of new and/or enhanced stuff.

If you've got SAS/Stat or SAS/OR, you'll see a lot of graphical new-ness via the ods graphics.

Reeza
Super User

There are usually not many performance enhancements.

The enhancements are to procedures and options available.

For example:

Most of the statistical procs now include a CODE statement to allow for easier scoring, PROC REG no longer has the PLOT statement, and as has mentioned the graphical capabilities have been expanded. ODS Excel is experimental but useful.

Read the link above for more Smiley Happy

brophymj
Quartz | Level 8

Does ODS Excel mean you can export to Excel? Does you need additional license to do this?

Regards

Reeza
Super User

Think of Tagsets.excelxp but it generates a native excel file.  No additional license as far as I know.

Using ODS EXCEL and PROC EXPORT to bundle Excel-based reports - The SAS Dummy

brophymj
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Reeza

I've tried testing the code in the link but I keep getting the error message "DBMS type XLSX not valid for export". Everything else seems to work i.e.

filename temp "S:\Matthew|Report.xlsx";

Data daysinmonth;

input leapyr $3. days $2.;

datalines:

Y0131

Y0229

;

RUN;

ods excel file = temp;

proc export data  = daysinmonth

dbms = xlsx

outfile = temp replace;

sheet = "test";

run;

I GET THE ERROR AFTER THE LAST STEP !

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Theres a typo in your filename:

filename temp "S:\Matthew|Report.xlsx";

| should be \

brophymj
Quartz | Level 8

That typo is not in the sas program - i can't seem to paste anything into this discussion forums so i have to type the code again which is annoying. 

Reeza
Super User

If you don't have SAS Access to PC FILES you won't be able to run the proc export to add to the file, but the portion,before the proc export should generate a native Excel file.

brophymj
Quartz | Level 8

It does generate a native excel fuile but is there a way of populating the native excel file with the contents from daysinmonth so that it achieves the same outcome as a proc export?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 like
  • 7 in conversation