BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sas_new_user
Calcite | Level 5

Hi folks,

Can anybody shed some insight on the procedure to use for calculating the variance of a weighted sum?  Basically what I'm looking for is SAS 9.3 code to calculate var(z) in the following equation:

var(z) = a^2[var(x)] + b^2[var(y)]

a&b are the weights, x&y are the variables for which variance is to be calculated.  More information can be provided if necessary.

Thanks in advance for considering.

3 REPLIES 3
Ksharp
Super User

proc means , proc summary ,proc univariate ........... can do it.

proc means data=sashelp.class nway noprint;
class sex;
var height;
weight age;
output out=want var=height_weight_var ;
run;

Ksharp

ballardw
Super User

To use two different weights you will need to make a pass through means for each weight variable.

Then combine the two resulting data sets to calculate your var( Z).

Ksharp
Super User

Ou. Sorry ! I misunderstood what op mean. I even don't notice there are two variables being the weight.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation