BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
vkorsz
Calcite | Level 5

I am interested in using PROC EXPLODE for a school project, but when the only examples I can find are from older versions of SAS.  I have read about people using it in SAS 9, but for me it does not run.  I have tried a few examples, such as this one:

filename ft15f001 temp;

options nodate pageno=1 linesize=80 pagesize=60;

proc explode;

parmcards;

HELLO WORLD

;

The error I get is from the line with "HELLO WORLD."  I tried changing up the syntax in different ways, but it gives the error:

"ERROR: Column 1 of a parameter line can contain only a number, or the

characters D, L, P, S, or U."

I do not understand the parmcards statement, so any information on that could help me out as well.

Thank you in advance for any light that can be shed on this topic.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

This works for me in 9.3 and brings back memories from long ago (possibly even SAS V5 Smiley Wink):

filename ft15f001 temp;

proc explode;

parmcards;

1  HELLO WORLD

;

run;

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Reeza
Super User

It looks like it doesn't exist past SAS 9.1 would be my guess.

What are you trying to do?

art297
Opal | Level 21

Sill listed in the 9.3 documentation: SAS(R) 9.3 Procedures by Name and Product

Reeza
Super User

I stand corrected Smiley Happy and interesting to know!!

SASKiwi
PROC Star

As I recall the main use for this procedure was for header pages on lineflow reports. Can't remember the last time I saw a lineflow printer.....Smiley Happy

SASKiwi
PROC Star

This works for me in 9.3 and brings back memories from long ago (possibly even SAS V5 Smiley Wink):

filename ft15f001 temp;

proc explode;

parmcards;

1  HELLO WORLD

;

run;

vkorsz
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you! The 1 in front of the text made it work, none of the examples from previous versions of SAS contained that detail.  Appreciate your help!

FriedEgg
SAS Employee

Your particular issue is that the first position of the parmcards instructions is used for formatting queues, like SASKiwi did 1 being the instruction to print on the first line.  Just offset your text with a space

filename ft15f001 temp;

options nodate pageno=1 linesize=80 pagesize=60;

proc explode;

parmcards;

<space>HELLO WORLD

;

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Vorsk. Saskiwi's remark is one to think about.

Those line printers were  common until 1990 and in those years mainframe processing was the standard. That 1 on the first position is indicating new page.

As a separator page the explode approach was common as a marker in bulk prints

The days windows Unix are more common wit variable lettertypes and sizing. For educational purposes proc explode is nice with that history.

Common usage is not of real value today.

---->-- ja karman --<-----

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 6 in conversation