BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Tasha
Calcite | Level 5
I would like to update values in an external file. The file is not a fixed length. The code drops the first character of the next line after it updates.. What will be a good way to do this?

Here is the code I use to update:
data _null_;
infile file lrecl=400 truncover sharebuffers pad;
file file;
input @72 id $ 9.;
set upd key=id/unique end=done;
if _IORC_=0 then put _infile_ @81 item;
else do;
_error_=0;
end;
run;
3 REPLIES 3
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
You have a hardcoded LRECL, yet you say that the incoming file "is not a fixed length". Also, your PUT statement does not show a format/length for the variable ITEM.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrdict/62618/HTML/default/a000171874.htm

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

Suggested Google advanced search argument, this topic/post:
update external file inplace site:sas.com
Tasha
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks!!

LRECL for the max length even though the lines are different lengths.
Even with the variable length, the problem still exists..
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
I believe that you will need to read the file, writing to a new file, then replace (not in-place though) the original file. Suggest you review the DOC references, as well. And again share any updated/modified code with the forum as a post-reply, ideally in your SAS execution log, not just the code piece.

Explain the SAS environment and where the external file resides for additional guidance.

Also, I question the use of PAD, if you have variable-length data to copy - each PUT will pad the output record to the LRECL= amount specified, I believe. You should start with the bare minimum parameters and go from there.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

Message was edited by: sbb Message was edited by: sbb

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation