BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi All:

I have been asked to output a file (just text) in Unicode (UTF-8).

My code is:

data work02;

file "&outfile" encoding="utf-8" notitles lrecl=400;

set work01;

text1 = compress(text,'"');

put @001 text1 $utf8x400.; 

run;

and it seems to run OK.

When I look at the resulting file, there only seems to be a couple of funny characters at the biginning of the first record and nothing else different.  How can I confirm that the results are in Unicode format?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7

Sorry - but I have to answer my own question here.... (after a call to SAS).

Just adding the format modifier ":" (full colon) before the unicode output format worked.

So the format becomes  ":$utf8x400."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
art297
Opal | Level 21

There are some examples at: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrdict/64316/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a000211297.htm

One easy test would simply be to reverse the process, i.e., to import the resulting file using the same encoding (i.e., utf-8).

Of course, if the file is really comprised of multiple fields, I would think that you would have to have exported it as multiple fields in order for the end user to be able to accurately treat it as being in unicode format.  My limited experience (1 time) dealing with that format was with a file that contained nulls between every field.

chang_y_chung_hotmail_com
Obsidian | Level 7

All the 7-bit ascii characters are also valid utf-8 encoded unicode characters -- utf-8 encoding scheme was specifically designed to be this way. As long as your input characters are ascii (no extended characters), your output should be the same. hth.

OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7

All:

Thanks for all the suggestions....

Now - another (minor) issue.

How do I remove the trailing blanks from the output record written in the Unicode format (as noted above).  The client wants the trailing blanks removed...

If I use just "$utf8x." as the output format, the default length is 8 chars.

Anyone ???

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I do not think that you need to use the $utf8x format. The ENCODING option on the FILE statement should be enough.  You can use the $VARYING format to write varying lengths to the output file.

data _null_;

file "&outfile" encoding="utf-8" lrecl=400;

set work01;

text1 = compress(text,'"');

len=length(text1);

put text1 $varying400. len;

run;

Note the two bytes at the beginning of the file is the signal to SAS and other programs what encoding is being used.  Try different encodings and you should see different values in those first two bytes.

OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7

Sorry - but I have to answer my own question here.... (after a call to SAS).

Just adding the format modifier ":" (full colon) before the unicode output format worked.

So the format becomes  ":$utf8x400."

art297
Opal | Level 21

Why sorry?  You got the answer to your question and, better yet, shared it with the rest of us.  Mark your last post as the one that had the correct answer.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation