BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Can anyone tell me the appropriate statistical test in SAS for seeing if a change in percent or rate is significant?

I am looking at two different things:
1. mortality rates from 1 year to the next as well as over a ten year period to see if there was a statistically significant increase or decrease.

2. Percent of a county's births that are low birth weight from 1 year to the next and over a ten year period looking to see if change was significant.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
In just comparing two years, you could do it with a simple chi-squared test (PROC FREQ).

In looking at a longer time period, you might best do that with a logistic regression model treating year as a predictor variable (that would look for a linear trend in the change). (The MEASURES option in PROC FREQ will do ordinal association, to look at a monotonic change.)

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks. When looking at % low birth weight between two years I just compared the overall average: 2005 at 7.7% and 2006 at 7.9%. When I plug this into proc freq/chisq it thinks I only have two observations, which I can understand why sas thinks that based on my number of observations but in reality LBW is calculated from thousands of records. How can I overcome this without putting every observation in sas?

Thanks

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation