BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
martinc
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, first of all apologies if this isn't the right forum, none of them really seemed to fit!

I need to create XPT files in a third-party application for consumption by SAS, and I have been given an example SAS XPT file which contains Unicode text. This appears to be encoded using UTF-8, although the specification for the XPT format indicates that text should be ASCII only (http://support.sas.com/techsup/technote/ts140.html).

Does anybody know if this is a recent update to the XPT format, and if there is any technical information about it (e.g. is there a flag in the file to indicate the text encoding)?

I have found that SAS UniViewer 1.2 is not able to display the UTF-8 text. I believe SAS 9.2 / 9.3 is able to handle it, however.

Many thanks for any help,

Martin.

1 REPLY 1
SASKiwi
PROC Star

The following link will be of use:

http://support.sas.com/techsup/technote/ts140.html

A SAS XPT or XPORT file is also called a SAS transport file and is a way of moving SAS data and other types of SAS files between SAS installations with different versions and/or different operating systems. It is not normally used to move data between third-party applications and SAS because there are far easier ways to do it, For example ODBC, OLEDB, CSV etc.

As the above link suggests trying to reproduce a SAS transport file for a SAS dataset (table) is not straightforward at all. I am curious to know why you have been asked to move data this way. What is the application the data is being sourced from?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation