BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Mgarret
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all—

I’m having trouble with the TRANWRD function and variable length.   I have a large data set that I continually append data to. In the data set the variable AGENCY has a length of 5. I need to fix the value of ‘ST JO’ contained in the AGENCY variable  and swap it out for ‘ST JOHN'. When I add in the LENGTH statement for AGENCY  the variable length does change but the value stays as 'ST JO' and does not change/correct to 'ST JOHN'.

data want

length AGENCY $8;

set have

AGENCY =TRANWRD(AGENCY,'ST JO','ST JOHN') ;

run;

Thoughts?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Works fine for me.  Are you sure that is what is in your data?  Perhaps the space is not really a space?

data have;

input agency $5.;

cards;

ST JO

run;

data want ;

length AGENCY $8;

set have ;

AGENCY =TRANWRD(AGENCY,'ST JO','ST JOHN') ;

put agency=;

run;

Mgarret
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Tom--

Thanks for your help.

What is this last step do:

put agency=;

Thanks!

Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

put agency=;

write the value of agency to log file.

Mgarret
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Tom and Linlin--

The issue still seems to happen.  But it happens when I combine the data. I use a simple union ststment to do it: 

proc sql;

create table want as

select *

from have

union

select *

from have;

quit;

It looks like the variable lengths always stay the same But the Format and Informat values change. How do I keep them at the same value everytime?

Thanks.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

In general it is a BAD idea to attach a FORMAT to a character variable for just the reason you state.  If you have a variable with length of 8 and it has a format of $5 attached to it then when you try to display the value it is truncated.

Unfortunately SAS has a nasty habit of always attaching formats to character variables when you pull the data from an external database system such as Oracle.

I find the easiest thing to due is to use a FORMAT statement in a data step to remove the formats.

data want;

set want;

format _character_ ;

run;

Mgarret
Obsidian | Level 7

Tom Thanks! last question, I just want to make sure I'm understanding you.

does _character_ means it applies to all the character variables in the data set. What if I have numeric variables in the data set as well?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Right.  There are many ways to specify lists of variables. _character_ , _numeric_ and _all_ are useful ones. You can also use ranges of variables with numeric suffix  (VAR1 - VAR20) or based on the order in the dataset ( ID -- ADDRESS).

Numeric variable formats are normally not as big a problem. In particular DATE, TIME and DATETIME formats are needed so that the values appear properly.

The other tricky thing about the format statement is that it works to remove the formats because it does not specify a format after the variable list as you would normally do when using the format statement to attach formats.

MikeZdeb
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

hi ... removing formats is one of the tasks that you can also accomplish with PROC DATASETS rather than a data step

if the data set is large, you might save some time with ...

proc datasets lib=<whatever> nolist;

modify want;

format _character_;

quit;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation