BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ltwo
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi, I'm looking to create a substr of a variable that is of an uncertain length. The character variable I'm looking at in particular always starts with a number followed by a category, BUT the number and categories vary in length etc.

Sample data below.

data sample;
input var1 $;
datalines;
1a
11b
12b(i)
12b(ii)
12c(iii)
;
run;

And what I want to end up with is as below

data want;
input var1 $ number $ category $;
datalines;
1a 1 a
11b 11 b
12b(i) 12 b(i)
12b(ii) 12 b(ii)
12c(iii) 12 c(iii)
;
run;

How can I go about doing a substr here? Or is there a different SAS function I can use?

2 REPLIES 2
bstarr
Quartz | Level 8

In this case you might have better luck with the COMPRESS function. If you're not familiar with it, I strongly urge you to read the SAS documentation on it - it's quite a powerful function, which can allow you to keep or drop certain characters or types of characters (e.g. alphabetic characters, numbers). This step below will create what you need for this sample.

data want;
set sample;
    number = compress(var1,,'dk');
    category=compress(var1,,'d');
run;

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You might try using the perl regular expression functions, if you already know them.

But it is pretty easy to do with SUBSTR() and VERIFY() functions.

data want ;
  set sample;
  length number suffix $20;
  number=substrn(var1,1,verify(trim(var1),'1234567890')-1);
  suffix=substrn(var1,lengthn(number)+1);
run;

image.png 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation