BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
trekvana
Calcite | Level 5
Hello all-

Firstly, suppose I have a data set that has many variables with missing values and i want to only keep the observations with no missing values. Is there a way I can tell SAS to check all the variables in my data set as opposed to one at a time as in:

data weight1;
set weight;
where (var1 ^=. AND var2^=. AND var3^=. etc);
run;

Secondly, how can I add a new row of data to an existing dataset. For example, if I have a dataset and I want to add a new observation var1=x, var2=y, var3=z, etc., how can I do this?

Thanks
Geo
10 REPLIES 10
Paige
Quartz | Level 8
You can use the SUM function to add all the numeric variables in a row; if the result is missing, then all variables in the row are missing.

data a;
set sashelp.class;
rowsum=sum(of _numeric_);
run;

You can add a new row with the OUTPUT statement in a SAS data step

data a;
set sashelp.class end=eof;
output;
if eof then do;
age=14;
height=56;
weight=99;
output;
end;
run;
trekvana
Calcite | Level 5
Paige-

What if some of my variables are categorical and are missing?
Paige
Quartz | Level 8
I don't really have a simple example in that case. Probably you need to use ARRAYs.

But I have a question for you. Why make an effort to delete rows with all missing values? Leaving them in the data set doesn't hurt anything, does it?
art297
Opal | Level 21
Please still answer Paige's question but, if you need to identify records that have missing values AND you are using SAS 9.2, take a look at the cmiss function.

Art
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
One example with using CMISS and NMISS is demonstrated below, along with the special variable-type array references (all variables of a type).

9 data _null_;
10 retain a1 . a2 0 b1 'x' b2 'y';
11 if cmiss(of _character_) then put 'char-yep';
12 if nmiss(of _numeric_) then put 'num-yep';
13 run;

num-yep
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
real time 0.00 seconds
cpu time 0.00 seconds

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
art297
Opal | Level 21
Scott,

I don't have 9.2, thus can't test it, but I was under the impression that CMISS handled BOTH numeric and character. Thus, I would think that one could use:
CMISS (of _all_)

Art
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Thanks for the tip, Art - I tested it with SAS 9.2 and you are correct.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
trekvana
Calcite | Level 5
Paige-

I am working with the proc mixed statement doing a longitudinal analysis and I have missing data for some of my variables which are both continuous and categorical.

I know proc mixed automatically removes the missing observations but I wanted to have a separate data set which contained all the non-missing values for procs that dont play nice with missing values (such as proc iml)

Art and Scott-
Thanks for the help. Here what I did and it worked out nicely:

data weight1;
set weight1;
if cmiss(of _all_) then miss='Y';
else miss='N';
run;

data nomiss;
set weight1;
where miss='N';
drop miss;
run;
Paige
Quartz | Level 8
which can be shortened to

data nomiss;
set weight1;
if cmiss(of _all_) then delete;
run;
chang_y_chung_hotmail_com
Obsidian | Level 7
which, in turn, can be shortened to: 🙂
[pre]
data nomiss;
set weight1;
if ^cmiss(of _all_);
run;
[/pre]

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation