BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JonS
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I have the following DATA step which should read in 2 observations with 3 variables:

data want;

input Name1 $ Num1 Name2 $10.;

datalines;

testing

dd

small

asdfasdfas

;

run;

The $10. informat is necessary to read in all of "asdfasdfas".  This gives the following output:

Obs  Name1  Num1  Name2

1       testing   444  

2       dd            .  

3       33321      .  

If I use $ instead of $10. the data will be correct except it cuts off asdfasdfas at the 8 characters, as is the default.  I know that SAS reads datalines with padded zeros, but why does the informat cause "dd" to not be read correctly?  This issue does not happen if I store the datalines in the txt file and read that data in with an INFILE statement.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

$10. changes the INPUT "type" from LIST to FORMATTED and that is the problem.  You need to use : modifier to allow use of and INFORMAT and stay in LIST input mode.

input Name1 $ Num1 Name2 : $10.;

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Pop a length statement in first, then remove the 10 from the input.  Also, would recommend that approach, i.e. what happens with missing?  A suggestion would be to go with CSV.

data want;

length name1 $20 num1 8 name2 $20;

input Name1 $ Num1 Name2 $;

datalines;

testing

dd

small

asdfasdfas

;

run;

JonS
Calcite | Level 5

That's interesting that the LENGTH statement fixes this.  My question is more about why doesn't it work than how to fix it. 

What is SAS doing that makes my code not work correctly?  Why does the LENGTH statement fix it?  Does it have something to do with how the INFORMAT controls the column pointer?

Thanks!

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The LENGTH statement is not what fixed it. It was the removal of the hardcoded $10. informat.

The LENGTH statement just lets you EXPLICITLY set the length/type for your variables rather than forcing SAS to guess what you want from your other statements.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

data _null_; and Tom have answered the question, however its another reason to be quite clear in the code and not let SAS do guess work behind the scenes.

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

$10. changes the INPUT "type" from LIST to FORMATTED and that is the problem.  You need to use : modifier to allow use of and INFORMAT and stay in LIST input mode.

input Name1 $ Num1 Name2 : $10.;

JonS
Calcite | Level 5

I think I understand now.  Specifying informats in the INPUT statement allows you to specify an informat along with a column input style.  The first two variables use list input style so they stop being read once it hits the end of the line.  Since the last variable had a hardcoded informat, it didn't skip to the next line and instead read the hidden padded zeroes after the 444.

Loko
Barite | Level 11

Hello,

Continuing a little bit data _null_ explanation , when you have switched to FORMATTED INPUT , SAS reads from where the pointer is therefore it does not scan for the next value as the case when reading data with LIST INPUT.

You may find these links useful:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrcon/62955/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a003209907.htm

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrdict/64316/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a000144370.htm

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation