BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
iiibbb
Quartz | Level 8

I've checked the archives and can't find the correct combination of clues for my problem...

I am relatively new to reading data directly from Excel and dbf files.  I imported a dbf into a sas library and the date is formatted as for example, 06/04/13.  Normally when I import SAS converts it to the integer automatically, but this time for whatever reason it has retained the mmddyy10. format.  How do I reformat it to the simple integer value for a sas date?

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
sassharp
Calcite | Level 5

try this

data required;

set yourSASdatasetname;

newdate=input(substr(strip(olddate),1,10),mmddyy10.);

run;

https://communities.sas.com/thread/32969?start=0&tstart=0

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I see two choices.

1) SAS did import it as a date and has just assigned a different format than you are used to.

2) SAS imported the variable as a character string. In which case you can use INPUT() function to create a new variable that is an actual date variable.

Here is a simple test that will help you tell which it is.

data _null_;

set MYDATA ;

put datevar= / datevar= best12. / datevar=date9. ;

run;

If it is a date then you will get something like this:

datevar=06/04/13

datevar=19513

datevar=04JUN2013

If it is character you will get

NOTE 484-185: Format $DATE was not found or could not be loaded.

datevar=06/04/13

datevar=06/04/13

datevar=06/04/13

iiibbb
Quartz | Level 8

The code withe the back slashes in it didn't do anything.

I know It is a date format because when I right-click the column in SAS explorer, it is listed as format mmddyy8. and informat yymmdd8..

Also when I prob print with a format statement I can get it to change the output form.

Alternatively, one could suggest how to merge a date formatted as above, and a time column formatted as character 04:46:56pm and output as a datetime integer.  That's really where I'm going with this.

iiibbb
Quartz | Level 8

okay... answered my own question and got what I was ultimately looking for by cobbling together some things I found.  I do work better on a Monday morning over a Friday afternoon.

data a;

set b;

sas_DT = (datevariable * 24 * 60 * 60) + input(timevariable, time10.); /* datevariable is recognized by SAS as a date variable, timevariable is a character*/

proc print;

format sas_DT datetime.;

run;

Interestingly, by figuring this out I realized that I really dont't need to remember some formatting command I won't use very often, but instead just include the variable in a function and it will return as an integer

e.g.

datevariabe_2 = datevariable + 1 - 1;

and sure enough... it output it as the integer I was after.

by the by can anyone tell me why the information on this page doesn't work?

SAS(R) 9.2 Language Reference: Dictionary, Fourth Edition

I have SAS 9.2, but it balked when I originally tried to use timeampmw.d

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Your link is to a FORMAT and not an INFORMAT.  Is that your question?

The DHMS() function is useful for converting separate date and time values into a date time value.

data _null_;

dt = dhms(today(),0,0,time());

put dt datetime.;

run;

Fugue
Quartz | Level 8

To show a SAS date as the integer value, simply refer to the date value without applying any formatting. Example:

data some_dates ;

input mydate :mmddyy10.;

integer_dt = mydate ;

datalines;

1/1/2001

2/2/2002

3/3/2003

4/4/2004

5/5/2005

6/30/2006

;

;;;;

Note re: why the TIMEAMPM format isn't working for you. The TIMEAMPM format only works with SAS TIME and DATETIME values.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation