BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
WLP165
Calcite | Level 5

Using the above 18-line data example, I am currently trying to do a slightly different data extract.  This is a little more involved but Value1 and Value2 are still used to identify each grouping and all variables are still character.  The new extract criteria is:  if Value4 is equal to 3 or 5, and Value5 is equal to 1234, and Value6 is equal to 1, and if Value4 = 2 and Value5 is NOT equal to 1234, then write that group to the output SAS dataset.

I can't figure out how to handle/incorporate the latter condition (i.e., "and if Value4 = 2 and Value5 is NOT equal to 1234") with the set of conditions before it.

William

WLP165
Calcite | Level 5

Below is the Proc SQL code I was trying to use for the above conditions.  I keep getting an empty output dataset.

proc sql;

create table want as

select * from have

group by value1,value2 having

sum (catx ('  ',value4,value5,value6) = '3 1234 1') and

sum (catx ('  ',value4,value5,value6) = '5 1234 1') and

sum (catx ('  ',value4) = '2' and sum (catx ('  ',value5) <> '1234') gt 0;

quit;

art297
Opal | Level 21

Is the following what you want to use?:

proc sql;

create table want as

select * from have

sum (catx ('  ',value4,value5,value6) = '3 1234 1') or

sum (catx ('  ',value4,value5,value6) = '5 1234 1') or

(sum (catt (value4) = '2') and sum (catt (value5) <> '1234'))

;

quit;

WLP165
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I tried your suggested Proc SQL code above, but I get all 18 observations written to the output dataset.  Given the newer extract criteria, would expect the groups of observations to be excluded from the output dataset would be:

- first grouping of data (first three obs) under Value1 = 01 due to the first observation in the group having Value4 = 2 and Value5 = 1234, and the third observation having Value6 = 2), and

- first grouping of data (first three obs) under Value1 = 02 due to the first observation in the group having Value5 = 1234, and the second and third observations having Value5 = 1236 and 1235, respectively, and

- second grouping of data (second three obs) under Value1 = 03 due to the first observation in the group having Value5 = 1234

The other three groups should make it into the output dataset.  I guess this extract is a little trickier.

William

art297
Opal | Level 21

Still not sure if I correctly understand your selection rules. Is the following what you are trying to accomplish?:

proc sql;

create table want as

select * from have

(sum (catx (' ',value4,value5,value6) = '3 1234 1') or

sum (catx (' ',value4,value5,value6) = '5 1234 1') ) and

sum (catx (' ',value4,value5) = '2 1234') eq 0

;

quit;

WLP165
Calcite | Level 5

It's a little trickier extract, but this looks pretty close.  For the last "sum" line, the criteria has to be Value4 equal to 2 and Value5 not equal to '1234'.  Out of curiosity, what does the "eq 0" part do?

William

art297
Opal | Level 21

My misunderstanding! The 0 is the result of the sum statement. In this case it is saying that a group can't contain a record that has a Value4 eq to 2 and a Value5 eq 1234. Does the following match what you are looking for?:

proc sql;

create table want as

select * from have

(sum (catx (' ',value4,value5,value6) = '3 1234 1') or

sum (catx (' ',value4,value5,value6) = '5 1234 1') ) and

not ( value4 = '2' and value5 ne '1234')

;

quit;

art297
Opal | Level 21

I modified the last post three times. The current version with not ( value4 = '2' and value5 ne '1234') is what I think you might be looking for.

WLP165
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I played around some with your Proc SQL example and came up with the below which is now getting the correct results.  The observation that has value4 = '2' and value5 ne '1234' also has to be in the group written to the output dataset given that the other two conditions are also met.  I end up getting nine observations written to the output dataset which also has the correct groups in it.

proc sql;

create table want as

select * from have

(sum(catx('  ',value4,value5,value6) = '3 1234 1') or

sum(catx('  ',value4,value5,value6) = '5 1234 1') and

(sum(value4 = '2' and value5 ne '1234'));

quit;

William

art297
Opal | Level 21

Post the code that actually produced what you wanted. The code you posted wouldn't run as it has unbalanced parentheses.

WLP165
Calcite | Level 5

Forgot the second parenthesis in the second "sum" line (typo).  This produced what I needed:

proc sql;

create table want as

select * from have

(sum(catx('  ',value4,value5,value6) = '3 1234 1') or

sum(catx('  ',value4,value5,value6) = '5 1234 1')) and

(sum(value4 = '2' and value5 ne '1234'));

quit;

art297
Opal | Level 21

When I run that I get 0 records, regardless of whether the catx statements use '  ' or ' '. With two spaces (as in your posts) it shouldn't work at all, regardless, but I get 0 records either way.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation