BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Rickaroo
Calcite | Level 5

I have distributors that feature a number of products.   Some only 1, but others up to 25.    I'd like to scan all 25 columns and return if a distributor features that product

The data is aligned as follows:

Distributor_ID     First_Product  Second_Product......................................25_Product

1                              Apples        Bananas

2                              Grapes     

3                              Bananas     Grapes                                                     Kiwis

etc

etc

In EXCEL it's dead easy using COUNTIF(array,value).    So, I can create a new column in Excel for each Product.   Since Distributor #1 sells Apples, a variable APPLES would have a value of 1 (vs 0)

1)  What's the best way to handle this in SAS? 

2)  If the products were concatenated into a single variable, best way in that case?          EX   (Apples|Bananas) for Distributor_ID=1

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

Not sure what you want your output to look like.

There's the whichC function which checks if a value is in a list of other variables, that returns the index of where apples occurred.

x=whichc('APPLES', of product1-product25);

If you need to know how many times APPLES was in the list I'd concatenate them and then use countW

Untested:

want=countw('APPLES', catx(",", of product1-product25, 'i');

Rickaroo
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Reeza

Apples will only happen once - same for all the fruits.    I'm leaning toward your "concatenated" answer.   I'm waiting to get SAS installed but know this challenge is part of a project I'm working on.

Reeza
Super User

A better alternative is to flip your data and run proc freq and easier to query when in long format.

data long;

set have;

array fruits(25) fruit1-fruit25;

do i=1 to 25;

if fruits(i) ne . then fruit=fruit(i);

output;

end;

keep id i fruit;

run;

proc freq data=long;

table id*fruit;

run;

*All ID's that have apple:

data apples;

set long;

where fruit='APPLE';

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation