BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jenfumi
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi

I'm using SAS Studio (University Edition) on Mac and I couple basic questions that seems to be flustering me on this gorgeous friday afternoon:

1) The first time I ran summary statistics and saved as .sas file. Then I altered a parameter and saved again. I thought it would replace the first file, but then it saved it with a longer extension .ctl.sas. After multiple alterations and saving, I now have many file versions;

EX:

Sumstats20180803.sas

Sumstats20180803.sas.ctl

Sumstats20180803.sas.ctl.sas

Sumstats20180803.sas.ctl.sas.ctl

etc, etc.

What's going on here? How do I save the file in my library without multiple versions (can I run a "replace;" code?). Or does it only save to the folders? What's the difference between saving my summary statics as ctk versus sas? And which extension should I use? I have no idea which is the latest file (i'm assuming the longest extension file..)

2) Today I tried running more summary statistics. I decided to provide a data set name (setting button -->Output-->browsing folder). After saving the file, I don't see the data set name anywhere? What is this data set name used for?

~J

2 REPLIES 2
SuzanneDorinski
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

You can save the Summary Statistics task in your server folders or under My Tasks.

In the screen shot below, I used the Summary Statistics task on the SASHELP.CLASS data set.  The FUN libname points to the Fun with Tasks folder.  I used the default output data set name, MEANS_STATS, but used the FUN libname rather than WORK.  I saved the task in the Fun with Tasks folder.  The task has the .ctk extension.

Summary Statistics task saved in server folder, along with output data set from taskSummary Statistics task saved in server folder, along with output data set from task

You can also save the SAS code generated by the task as a SAS program in a server folder.  

In the screen shot below, I saved the code generated by the task in the Fun with Tasks folder.  The SAS code has the .sas extension.

Code generated by Summary Statistics task saved as SAS program in server folderCode generated by Summary Statistics task saved as SAS program in server folder

You can overwrite either the saved task or the saved code by clicking the Save button.  

jenfumi
Obsidian | Level 7

@SuzanneDorinski Thanks! I'll try that!

~J

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation