BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jerry898969
Pyrite | Level 9

I have a pc that has sas 9.3 installed on it.  When I open sas I get the following in the log window:

ERROR: Expecting page 1, got page -1 instead.

ERROR: Page validation error while reading SASUSER.PROFILE.CATALOG.

NOTE: Unable to open SASUSER.PROFILE. WORK.PROFILE will be opened instead.

NOTE: All profile changes will be lost at the end of the session.

NOTE: Unable to open SASUSER.PROFILE. WORK.PROFILE will be opened instead.

NOTE: All profile changes will be lost at the end of the session.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thank you

16 REPLIES 16
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

perhaps your profile catalog has an entry that is not valid for SAS9.3

Has SAS9.3 run OK ?

FelixSta20
Obsidian | Level 7
I am using SA S9.4
ballardw
Super User

I think that can happen when you open a second instance of SAS that both use the same configuration. The first one in effect locks the default SASUSER.PROFILE and the second can't read it hence the messages.

The main effect is that any customizations that are stored in SASPROFILE aren't available.

If this isn't from a second instance it could mean that the catalog is corrupted. You could try either renaming or deleting the catalog using a system command out side of SAS. When SAS next starts is should rebuild a default profile from SASHELP. That profile will be factory defaults though.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You get a different message when you just have a conflict between multiple instances of SAS running at the same time.

NOTE: Unable to open SASUSER.REGSTRY. WORK.REGSTRY will be opened instead.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You need to move your existing profile (or even the whole directory used by the SASUSER libref) out of the way and SAS will create a new valid one.  If you need to recreate any customizations you might be able to copy from the old to the new one using PROC CATALOG.

jerry898969
Pyrite | Level 9

This was a new install on this machine.  I'm just the user of the machine.  I logged off of windows and had a co-worker try and he is able to open sas without this error.  Could it be my rights or priviliages as a windows user that is blocking this profile from loading?

Tom where is the existing profile located?  Do I just delete it and restart SAS?

Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Jerry

you might inherit from an earlier SAS release, an override pointing sasuser (and the profile) to an unusual path. By default SAS9.x would point sasuser to a folder like "my documents\my sas files\9.x"

To check the start-up options and report the config files used, see if you can update the command line that invokes SAS and add the option

-verbose

peter         

jerry898969
Pyrite | Level 9

So change the shortcut to include -verbose?

I was thinking it might be a permissions issue. Can I go into the config and point his -SASUSER to a location I know he has permissions too?

Thanks for the help.

Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Would be better to change the shortcut

techstore
Calcite | Level 5
Just for info for anyone new to the installation, your 'Profile' may be saved in This PC > Documents > My SAS Files > 9.4 I had two profiles there, cut one and then ran it again. It seemed to work as suggested. Thanks Tom!
jerry898969
Pyrite | Level 9

I'm not sure this is the same issue.  I don't see this line in my error "NOTE: SASHELP.PROFILE has been copied to WORK.PROFILE."

Can a user work with SAS even if this error appears?  What gets disabled?

Thank you

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Nothing gets disabled if you get this error. You only lose your user customisations which include display manager function keys, fonts, windows displayed etc.

You also get this error without the page validation stuff if you run more than one SAS session simultaneously. A workaround for this is the RSASUSER option which makes your SASUSER library readonly.

In my humble opinion this is a fudge, because of the limitations of multi-session access to SAS files, and in particular SAS catalogs.  

ylwang
Calcite | Level 5

Solution from SAS Tech Support - Windows Business Intelligence unit

The error reported in the SAS log:

Indicates the SASUSER profile files cannot be correctly read by SAS. The profile files are created or read by SAS every time the application is launched. Please do the following to delete the existing files so that SAS can recreate them on next startup:

1. Launch SAS and submit the following code:

proc options option = sasuser; run;

1. The output in the log will show you the location of the SASUSER profile on your machine, for example, the default location is as follows (where <UID> is your Windows user ID):

SASUSER=C:\Users\<UID>\Documents\My SAS Files\9.4

1. Navigate to the SASUSER path in a File Explorer window and delete the following files:

profbak.sas7bcat

profile.sas7bcat

profile2.sas7bcat

1. Close any open SAS sessions and launch a new session. If you receive any errors, send me a screen shot of the errors.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 11 in conversation