BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rpaulus
Obsidian | Level 7
It was my understanding that with SAS system options (such as ORIENTATION or PAGESIZE), that you could change the option during your SAS session, but that when you restarted, that SAS would return to a default setting. For some reason, though, the system options in place when I start up a new SAS session are the same as what they were at when I ended my previous session. For instance, if I set orientation to LANDSCAPE, then the next time I start SAS, the option in effect is LANDSCAPE.

I haven't tried saving any options settings in a configuration file or an autoexec file or anything like that, so I'm not sure what's going on here. Is there some command or programming statement I can use to restore whatever the SAS factory defaults are for all system options? Is there any way I can get this whole problem to stop happening outside of asking IT to totally reinstall SAS?
10 REPLIES 10
ballardw
Super User
You may have a preference (Tools -> Options -> Preferences in Windows) set for "Save settings on exit".
rpaulus
Obsidian | Level 7
That option isn't checked, so I don't think it's that.
Ksharp
Super User
Tools -> Options -> System
At right bottom of window ,there is a RESET button,maybe will give you some help.

Ksharp
rpaulus
Obsidian | Level 7
Unfortunately, that didn't work, either.
ballardw
Super User
How are you setting the option?
rpaulus
Obsidian | Level 7
I never save my option settings, so I change settings from the SAS default only on an as-needed basis, like if I need to have the orientation changed, or if I want the missing value of something displayed differently, like this:

option orientation = landscape;

option missing = "0";

I never save those changes, though, so I'm extremely confused as to how I've gotten myself into this situation.
polingjw
Quartz | Level 8
I’m somewhat perplexed why the solutions which were already proposed did not work. One additional alternative is to set all your options the way you want them, use PROC OPTSAVE to save them, and then use PROC OPTLOAD any time you want to reset your options.

[pre]
proc optsave out=sasuser.myoptions;
run;

proc optload data=sasuser.myoptions;
run;

[/pre]
rpaulus
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks for that suggestion. I opened up another SAS window while my primary SAS window was already open, thus having SAS use the default options, and I saved those. I tried clicking the "save settings" and closing SAS after loading the saved options. That didn't keep the options back to the saved option settings, though. When I started up SAS again, the orientation was back at landscape.
polingjw
Quartz | Level 8
You could put the PROC OPTLOAD in your autoexec file so that your desired options are loaded whenever you start SAS.
rpaulus
Obsidian | Level 7
I've never used an autoexec before, but apparently today would be a good day to start. I'll do that. Thanks!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation