BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
BaileyY
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello-

My organization is looking into transitioning from SAS desktop running on our local computers to a SAS server.  We have over 20 user licenses and my organization is looking into some cost savings and more efficiency.  The server will definitely process our massive data files much quicker than locally.  So, my question is will the SAS server allow us to continue using SAS Base on the Server or must we all convert to Enterprise Guide??   

I did read that there was a web programming version on the Server but I am interested to know if all the features of SAS Base will be available on this web version as well.  Any other downfalls or hitches I should be aware of before I delve further into moving this ahead?  Thanks for any insights!!  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

@BaileyY wrote:

Hello-

My organization is looking into transitioning from SAS desktop running on our local computers to a SAS server.  We have over 20 user licenses and my organization is looking into some cost savings and more efficiency.  The server will definitely process our massive data files much quicker than locally.  So, my question is will the SAS server allow us to continue using SAS Base on the Server or must we all convert to Enterprise Guide??   

I did read that there was a web programming version on the Server but I am interested to know if all the features of SAS Base will be available on this web version as well.  Any other downfalls or hitches I should be aware of before I delve further into moving this ahead?  Thanks for any insights!!  

It depends on your licensing and how your company chooses to install things. 

Keep an eye on the XCMD setting which allows OS commands. 

I do actually like SAS Studio for programming, better than EG, and it allows for shared code repositories which is nice. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

SAS Enterprise Guide includes SAS base (which is the foundation for all SAS environments) but if you want to retain the classic SAS Display Manager you could look at running SAS in Client/Server mode using SAS Connect. You'll find the documentation here -> http://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=pgmsascdc&cdcVersion=9.4_3.3&docsetId=connref&docsetTarget=p12j8...

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Base SAS can be used in Display Manager mode on a UNIX system via X Windows. Install one of the many available X servers on your desktop and connect to the server. Be aware that certain things (like the Enhanced Editor) will be missing.

Everything you do in the classic DM environment with Program Editor/Log/Output can be done in SAS Studio, but Enterprise Guide provides a lot more functionality and would be my tool of choice for developers/programmers.

Background: we started with SAS on MVS (what is now z/OS) on a mainframe with TSO (using SAS/ASSIST), then migrated to a PC/UNIX client-server environment with SAS/CONNECT, and then very quickly turned to using Enterprise Guide, which is our main SAS tool now. To that we added Stored Processes and Web Report Studio as a means for the less programming-savy users.

Reeza
Super User

@BaileyY wrote:

Hello-

It depends on your licensing and how your company chooses to install things. 

Keep an eye on the XCMD setting which allows OS commands. 

I do actually like SAS Studio for programming, better than EG, and it allows for shared code repositories which is nice. 

RexDeus9
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

You don't have to worry about SAS Base. As the name implies, in any platform/infrastructure, you get the full power of what comes with it. You should always have the choice of continuing to use SAS Base, even if SAS Eg is available.

As for switching to SAS server, the only thing to worry about is server bandwidth and proper server power to accommodate flawlessly the whole group. If the server is scalable (which is the norm these days), everything should be fine.

Happy coding,

/Y

Reeza
Super User

@RexDeus9 wrote:

Hi,

You don't have to worry about SAS Base. As the name implies, in any platform/infrastructure, you get the full power of what comes with it. You should always have the choice of continuing to use SAS Base, even if SAS Eg is available.

That's not true. Many orgs will limit apps to just EG because it allows you to lock down your data more. You can still program within EG, but you won't be using 'Base SAS' or SAS with display manager. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

What is Bayesian Analysis?

Learn the difference between classical and Bayesian statistical approaches and see a few PROC examples to perform Bayesian analysis in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation